Solved! home network not working on laptop but everything else is fine

Nov 28, 2018
I'm using Windows 10 btw, also I'm a bit of an "old man", when it comes to computer stuff so technical terms are way out of the picture with me.

So my computer is fine, I've connected to other wifi connections before and it's totally fine. My phone and everything else runs perfectly with the home wifi, but my computer doesn't.

Don't just say "did you turn it on and off again?" With my modem/laptop because I've done that multiple times with each. Also my computer was working perfectly fine with the current home wifi but one day it just stopped.

Solution
Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "WiFi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your WiFi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your...

dorsai

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

Make sure you're connecting to the network you think you are...I know it sounds silly, but Windows may be trying to grab a neighbors WIFI. Also you may want to check your Windows power options and make sure Windows isn't turning off the WIFI adapter to save power. If all else fails try uninstalling the WIFI adapter driver and downloading the latest from the manufacturer.

Nov 28, 2018

Did that and nothing,
Again; my home wifi works on my phone but not my laptop. My laptop works perfectly fine with other networks but not this one. I'm assuming there's something wrong with the network itself?

Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "WiFi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your WiFi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your modem/router, and then once it is fully loaded again, repeat the above steps.

If this doesn't work, test seeing if your laptop will connect via Ethernet. If so, then your WiFi card may be going. You can either look to replace it/have it replaced, or get an external (plugs in via USB) WiFi card.

Another way to try it is to...

1. Go to "Settings".
2. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
3. Now click "Manage known networks".
4. Select the WiFi connection you want to remove.
5. Click the "Forget" button.
6. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.
7. Once the computer is fully reloaded again go to "Settings".
8. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
9. Now click "Manage known networks".
10. Click "Add a new network" and enter the network name.
11. Using the drop-down menu, select the "network security type".
12. Check the "Connect automatically" option.
13. Now check the "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting" option and click "Save".

Once you have completed these steps, whenever the device is within range of that particular network, it should automatically connect to it.

Also, you might want to check that both your modem/router doesn't have a limitation on how many devices can be connected at once (they do have that option in most cases) and also your ISP. Some of them limit the number of devices.

Solution
Nov 28, 2018

There's a couple things I gotta question about this answer, first of all the option to "manage known networks" is completely not there. This option doesn't seem to exist?

Another thing; why would my laptop connect to other wireless connections but not my home network if hypothetically my WiFi card is bad?

Another thing, I've searched a while trying to figure out how to remove all known networks but can't seem to find it. Looked through your options but some options aren't even there.

I honestly think there's something wrong with the network and not my computer.

So let's recap: everything but my computer is working on my HOME wifi, but! My computer works on other networks, all networks besides my home network works

Actually, it wouldn't connect to other networks if bad, however I included all the instructions rather than trimming it down. Then again, if your network is running on a different GHz than the others, that could be an issue. Which I believe I didn't mention.

Odd that manage known networks isn't in yours, but this is why the other option is included, some devices have that option and some don't or is worded differently. Also, due to the different versions of Windows, the different updates that are/aren't installed, different views for control panel, etc.

In your home network, what GHz do you have your modem/router allowing for? 2.4GHz, 5.0GHz or both? You can also check the channel your network is using vs the one the computer is looking for.