Home tv network

Akumaisloose

Estimable
Jul 20, 2015
So I've been wracking my brain trying to get a solution for my kids dance fix. I have 2 tvs that they use (in bedrooms) pre-existing coax in them. Both of my kids love to dance but there are no dance tv channels but we have around 200 dance videos from their dance studio. How would I go about putting those videos on my pc then using existing coax get them to the tvs in the kids room so they can dance as they please.

The ideal setup would be streaming video from 3pm-9pm that is automated. I do have a background in Java to do the coding but I'm at a loss for hardware that would allow me to put the signal onto a coax cable that would allow them to tune to a predetermined channel and watch.

Solution
It can be done using a notch filter, which would block out a few channels in the coax spectrum to broadcast to. Then you need a modulator to turn your signal into a coax signal. You would also need a PC running videos full time with a dedicated output on a graphics card for it. Can get expensive as most basic modulators only work on channel 3 or 4. Like an old VCR. A VCR is a modulator, just limited to two channels. Get ones that broadcast on other channels are more robust, and thus costly. EBay might have old ones though. The problem is they all usually use old svideo/rca cables, so then you need a GPU with those outputs, or to buy a VGA to RCA then into the modulator.

Are they HD TV's or at least have an HDMI input on them...
It can be done using a notch filter, which would block out a few channels in the coax spectrum to broadcast to. Then you need a modulator to turn your signal into a coax signal. You would also need a PC running videos full time with a dedicated output on a graphics card for it. Can get expensive as most basic modulators only work on channel 3 or 4. Like an old VCR. A VCR is a modulator, just limited to two channels. Get ones that broadcast on other channels are more robust, and thus costly. EBay might have old ones though. The problem is they all usually use old svideo/rca cables, so then you need a GPU with those outputs, or to buy a VGA to RCA then into the modulator.

Are they HD TV's or at least have an HDMI input on them? A $39 chromecast would be work. lol.

Solution
You are focused on using a PC as a central source but it might be easier and more flexible to use a WD TV media box in each room with a USB drive with the dance videos on it. They would then be able to start select and stop the videos individually whenever they want.
If the videos are on DVD then easy to rip to your PC. If they are vhs tapes you would need a player and video capture hardware and software.

TRENDING THREADS