Home VIDEO camera advice

js81

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hey all!

I am NOT a pro videographer, nor at this point in life do I want/need to be. However, I have a beautiful new baby girl at home and I want to be able to take decent video of her. We had a Kodak PlaySport camera that died. It was OK video-wise (to us). I tried replacing it with no less than two other Kodak models and frankly, both of them sucked. Badly.

Here's my dilemma - I don't really want to buy another pocket camcorder. Currently, we've resorted to shooting video of our baby with our iPhones (both 3GS's) or our ancient Kodak point and shoot camera. I'm looking for a camera that shoots better video than either of these (not hard, lol) and costs less than $200 (or so). I have a dSLR (Sony Alpha a290), but it doesn't do video.

Here are my thoughts:
1) Buy a decent camcorder. I don't particularly care about zoom length or whiz-bang features; I just want good quality HD (720p is fine) video and clear audio.
2) Buy a higher-end point and shoot camera OR a Micro 4/3 camera that shoots video. This would serve the dual purpose of replacing the ancient p&s we have. I had looked at the Olympus E-PL1 (cheap on eBay, $199 w/kit lens) or other similar options.
3) Screw it all and buy a cheap Mini DV camcorder on eBay. I had one that was acceptable, but I was too cheap to buy a battery for my old camcorder and sold it. That was when the PlaySport was working.

Help! I understand the concepts of good video, but I'm totally lacking in the hardware-knowledge department! Please assist! Thanks!