Honeycomb RAM usage

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I recently purchased the Asus Transformer and have already updated it to 3.1. Right now it shows I have 150 megs used and 451 megs free. I imagine that 256 megs is reserved for the GPU but where is the rest going to? Reserved for OS functions?

Thanks in advance for the help. Also, i'm sorry if this was posted in the wrong section, I only saw android under cell phones and smartphones.

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

I read through every post on that topic and nobody really answered my question. UBRocked made a post that speculated about how much RAM android is using but he was basically doing he same thing I was doing, making a rough calculation based on current numbers. I want to know if all the RAM that is not being accounted for is truly being allocated for honeycomb and if so how much is being utilized and for what purposes. Also does that ammount change? It's seems like the total of what's being used and what's free is always different.

Zasmatic

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
Hey there,
Sorry im getting confused when reading this. You have 256mb reserved for the gpu but you only have 150 mb used?
I have a feeling your being fooled by android way of managing ram. Its forever fluctuating depending on how much your apps/ the OS are wanting. And it trys to keep alot reserved so its got breathing room. (as far as i understand it)

And im a bit unsaure about this, but the system reserves ram just incase the OS needs it. Which would make sense why it wont show you it.