Hook up sound bar and satellite and other devices

May 28, 2018
I have recently prewired a family room as i did 3 years ago. In wall 1 HDMI, and 5 channels of coax. Now I’m adding a smart tv with a sound bar but to my horror the later technology has the sound bar powered and wired via a optical cable or hdmi. My issue is I can link the sound bar via optical or hdmi “arc” to the tv. The issue is I only have 1 hdmi cable to my media cabinet 15 feet away and it’s buried in the wall. I have 3 additional devices, Satalite, Blu-ray, and PlayStation. Additionally I have a receiver in place attached to my outside speakers. My wife will kill me if my only option is to open any walls. Help?

Solution
Not sure what's horrifying about using an optical cable to connect the soundbar.
You will need to turn the optical output on in the TV menu. You may also need to turn the TV speakers off and change the audio output type in the TV menu.
SInce you had three sources remote from the old TV and only cables for 1 HDMI and 1 component video source I can't tell how you had three sources connected to it and why that would change for the new TV.
You can use an HDMI input selector that can go where your sources are located. Some are designed to automatically switch when you turn on a source.
https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Switch-Auto-Switcher-Pass-through-DotStone/dp/B075XKS4QX
It will use the single HDMI cable.
Not sure what's horrifying about using an optical cable to connect the soundbar.
You will need to turn the optical output on in the TV menu. You may also need to turn the TV speakers off and change the audio output type in the TV menu.
SInce you had three sources remote from the old TV and only cables for 1 HDMI and 1 component video source I can't tell how you had three sources connected to it and why that would change for the new TV.
You can use an HDMI input selector that can go where your sources are located. Some are designed to automatically switch when you turn on a source.
https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Switch-Auto-Switcher-Pass-through-DotStone/dp/B075XKS4QX
It will use the single HDMI cable.

Solution

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
MERGED QUESTION
Question from bub49er : "Pre-wire confused help needed"

I'm guessing the soundbar will sit under the front of the TV. I'd use the opt.out from the TV to the soundbar.

Depending on what you call coax, if that's rca ends, you can use that with a powered adapter to change the rca plugs to hdmi/optical out.

If you ran cable/satellite type RG6, you are out of luck.