Hooking up old audio (mini) system to TV: possible?

Brian_205

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
Hey guys, kind of wondering whether it is at all possible to connect this old mini stereo system I had from years back, to a TV (that isnt from the dark ages.)

stereo: philips fwm 570
TV: Samsung UE40EH5000

Solution

Use a converter from hdmi to hdmi and rca. If you are getting a feed from a cable box or set top box, split the feed from it using this converter to give audio and video via hdmi to the TV, and audio via rca to the mini system. This converter should cost around 20$ or even less and will have a micro USB power plugin to amplify the signal. No need to buy a new audio hardware...

Brian_205

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
Im afraid my stereo doesn't accept the normal headphone jack Cable, it's some kind of different connection (think RCA). At this point im kinda considering just buying a cheap soundbar because im such a noob at this stuff :D

MooseFlunky

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017

If your mini-stereo has two RCA jacks, colored red and white as AUXIN, and your TV has a 3.5mm head phone jack, get on Amazon and buy a 3.5mm female to RCA converter cable. Depending on the length you need, it should only cost you around $5.00

Fine by me. Buy from somewhere local for easy return if necessary. Soundbars are no panacea.

MooseFlunky

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017

According to your documentation that came with your mini-system, is that an input or an output? I suspect it's an input, but I'm not certain why you would have a video-in port without having a corresponding video-out somewhere on the unit. Are there any more connectors on the back of the unit?

Brian_205

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
You mean the one on the front (first picture) or on the back (second picture)? Im not sure why it doesnt have good ports either, but probably because its really old haha. The front port was something called the 'gameport' which I think works with a ps2 (says enough about how old the pos is). Like I said, im pretty sure im better off just buying a cheap soundbar, but I figured id ask here first if there is some really easy to find cable that converts the ports to a 2010+ TV, as the speakers itself are probably decent enough when it comes to sound.

Alfa man

Estimable
Jun 26, 2015

Use a converter from hdmi to hdmi and rca. If you are getting a feed from a cable box or set top box, split the feed from it using this converter to give audio and video via hdmi to the TV, and audio via rca to the mini system. This converter should cost around 20$ or even less and will have a micro USB power plugin to amplify the signal. No need to buy a new audio hardware...

Solution