Hooking up old stereo speakers to my PC. Will this work? Bad idea?

Clunker

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016
So I've got these old stereo speakers just sitting in a corner of the spare bedroom. I thought it would be cool if I could hook them up to my PC.

I thought about buying this amp to connect it to the PC...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ULRFQ1A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A1O3FCDOOYHNQU&psc=1

The amp specs say "Output power: 20W x 2 RMS" but the tag on the back of the speakers say 100W, 6 Ohms. I know that's a big difference but I don't need these things to bump at full power. Just play at a normal volume.

I don't know. Is this a bad idea? Has anyone here ever done this? Is Windows 10 going to refuse to play the audio unless I keep the amp turned on all the time? Is this amp just going to be too small to push these speakers. Is there anything else I should know?

307t5QR.jpg

Solution
The amp won't turn on or off with the PC. No big deal. Just leave it on. When there's no input signal it will only draw a tiny amount and it shouldn't generate any heat.
20 watts per channel into 6 ohms will be fine. Get something better only if you plan on upgrading the speakers. Those are from a cheap mini-system so while you will probably be fine with them there's no point in too much quality or power.
Aug 20, 2018

I have a similar amp hooked to two smaller speakers and they're doing allright. I'd say try it out, these amps are really cheap these days.

The amp won't turn on or off with the PC. No big deal. Just leave it on. When there's no input signal it will only draw a tiny amount and it shouldn't generate any heat.
20 watts per channel into 6 ohms will be fine. Get something better only if you plan on upgrading the speakers. Those are from a cheap mini-system so while you will probably be fine with them there's no point in too much quality or power.

Solution