How can I fix my laptop's dim display? [Picture included]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadiablo

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Recently my 6 month old laptop, HP Envy M6-1105dx, is acting up.

Specification: HP Envy m6-1105dx

The screen is working fine before I left my college for spring break. I put it in my backpack then in my car trunk. It was a huge mistake because it would slide back and forward with all my other stuff. It was a 2 hour car ride. As I got home, I turned on my laptop and it was working as it powers on and the fan is spinning, but my screen is dimmed.

In the picture below, I had to use a flashlight to see the screen. It does work on a external monitor. I did research on the internet and people who had this problem said it was the inverter board and other stuff, but I don't know if that is correct.

I have no laptop repair skills, but I do love to learn for future problems that might occur.

t1PPUVG.jpg

Is there anything I can do?
My laptop is still under warranty, but I am not sure if HP fixes this. I just want to know if I can fix this alone without having to use my warranty until later/paying money.

If you guys need more pictures of my laptop then I would oblige to upload more.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Unless your brightness is turned off, you have a broken inverter or backlight. Based on the fact it was sliding around the back of your car, it probably has a broken backlight.

You can search on how to fix this, but it is a rather involved process of ordering parts and opening your laptop up to replace them. You can try the warranty service, but if you abused your laptop, that's up to your own conscious to claim it as a defective part when you broke it from misuse.

dodger46

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Your screen is an LED Backlit version, so won't have an inverter. It's more likely that you've dislodged a connector in the screen itself, preventing the LED Array from firing up. I'm not having much success in finding a manual to help you open up the screen to look...
This is the closest I could get, most screens are very similar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PhP4n9SCkU
Use guide to open up screen and look for loose connections at the base of the screen. You may have to remove the screen completely to trace the LED wires to check. If you find nothing loose, examine the LEDs themselves for signs of damage (cloudy?)
If nothing at all found, it may be a connector under the power switch assembly, and for that you would definitely need a manual to remove and inspect
Found!
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=5296045
Maintenance & Service Manual...

Status
Not open for further replies.