Aug 28, 2018
Hi, I recently bought a 64Gb SD card for my phone because it doesn't have enough capacity for my daily use.

But right away it started showing some errors in apps I normally use, I first encountered the issues in Spotify, sometimes my card wouldn't show up when I tried changing the storage location, I always had to reinstall Spotify to see the storage changing option.

When I tried downloading my songs, the download would start, I would see that some songs were downloaded, some playlists even, but it would come a time when it would just stop downloading songs and if I tried downloading more playlists it would say the download had stopped because there was no space left on the device, when it clearly hadn't even scratched the surface of the 58Gb left.

This issue happened many many times, sometimes I would download some songs, turn off my device, come back to Spotify and the songs would be there, but half and hour later (give or take) everything would be gone again and the settings would only be showing my phone's internal storage.

I thought the issue was with Spotify only, so I tried looking into its forums to see if the problem had been solved, but there was nothing there I hadn't already tried.

I then tried using my card with other apps such as Netflix, I was successfully able to download episodes of shows I enjoy, but when I tried playing them, they would be corrupt or just wouldn't play at all.

Same thing happened to the new Youtube Go app, I would succesfully download videos but at some point the video would enter an endless buffering eventhought it was downloaded, I would skip parts of the video and it would play normally again until the buffering started again in another part of the video.

The next thing I tried was moving apps to my SD card entirely, and when I tried opening the apps again they would just crash instantly, then wouldn't open at all. Even after restarting my device.

I constantly found myself formatting my card (from my phone) to see if that would solve the problem, but I just ended up having the same issues every time.

I also tried using my card in my Windows 10 machine, and after formatting it, I can use it normally with no issues whatsoever.

I also noticed that whenever I tried plugging the card into my pc directly from my phone it would always ask me to format it to be used. Thankfully I don't have anything too important there yet.

I am sure the hardware of the card is fine, it is a San Disk Ultra, it's less than a week old, and my computer and phone can both identify it, and even running the Windows diagnostics for it there weren't any errors encountered with it.

I think the problem might have to do with some sort of lock that I don't know how to overcome, or it might be a compatibility issue, I've never used cards that were bigger than 32Gb before.

If you need any more info about my device, PC or card I'd be happy to give it, I just want this darn thing to work normally!

Solution
Well part of your problem could be the SD card could be bad. It could also be that the port in the phone is the problem. I would try another card to test it and see if the other card works. If it does the same thing, the phone is the problem. If it doesn't, then the card is. Yes I know you said the card worked in the other devices, however, depending on the phone's specs, it may not accept that card. Not all cards are the same.

Also, in regards to Netflix, last I checked they don't let you save the vids to a SD card. Only the phone's internal storage.
Well part of your problem could be the SD card could be bad. It could also be that the port in the phone is the problem. I would try another card to test it and see if the other card works. If it does the same thing, the phone is the problem. If it doesn't, then the card is. Yes I know you said the card worked in the other devices, however, depending on the phone's specs, it may not accept that card. Not all cards are the same.

Also, in regards to Netflix, last I checked they don't let you save the vids to a SD card. Only the phone's internal storage.

Solution