How can I get audio from TV and computer at the same time?

jcbullen

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
I've got my tv hooked up to my computer with an HDMI cable. I usually have the TV disconnected in the screen resolution tab of control panel. With this set up, the audio in the sound playback menu is coming from "speakers".

When I want to watch something from my computer on my TV, I go to the screen resolution tab and click extend desktop to the TV. This allows me to drag and drop netflix or a video or whatever over to my TV. It also switches the audio in the sound playback to "Panasonic-TV-4". With this set up, the audio comes from the TV for the video and anything else that is originating from the computer.

Let's say I want to drag a movie over to the TV for my girlfriend to watch, but I want to play a game on my computer at the same time. Audio from both comes out of the TV and is annoying. Is there any way to get the movie audio from the TV and the game audio from my computer?

Solution
You need to manually set which audio device you want the media player to use.
Make sure your computer speakers are the default audio device, so the game sounds come through that.
Here is where and how you set it up in Windows Media Player for example:
ahWvWUy.png

You need to select the hdmi output of for the tv.
Depending on how you have your displays setup you may need to run your games in fullscreen windowed/borderless mode.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
You need to manually set which audio device you want the media player to use.
Make sure your computer speakers are the default audio device, so the game sounds come through that.
Here is where and how you set it up in Windows Media Player for example:
ahWvWUy.png

You need to select the hdmi output of for the tv.
Depending on how you have your displays setup you may need to run your games in fullscreen windowed/borderless mode.

Solution