How do I bluetooth-enable my (non-bluetooth) TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domino66

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
I want to be able to listen to my TV's audio via my bluetooth headphones. Except that my TV does not support bluetooth.

I think what I need is a "bluetooth transmitter", is that right?

Here is the back panel of my TV:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5774/backtvn.jpg

Which ports am I supposed to use, the red/white Audio Out RCA jacks, or the Digital Audio Out jack?

And can someone suggest a bluetooth transmitter that would work? I've looked around, but most of them just seem to attach to an iPod's proprietary port, or a standard 3.5mm audio jack. Which one(s) will work with the jacks on my TV?
**EDIT: would an adapter cable like this one serve this purpose?

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-6-Inch/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1365787469&sr=8-11&keywords=wireless+TV+headphones

Like, could I then buy a standard 3.5mm bluetooth transmitter?

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
I don't know if/whether Blue Tooth offers any advantages over the stereo output of the TV, but what I use is a set of SONY wireless headphones that don't require any sort of adapter. You can plug into your "headphone" jack or the RCA audio jacks.

domino66

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Yes, I'm contemplating doing that...except that I don't think my TV has a headphone-AUDIO-IN jack. I suppose that the RCA-to-3.5mm adapter cable I linked to in my OP would serve that purpose?

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

Your original post says you want to listen to the audio out of your TV. All that's required for that is either a headphone jack or appropriate RCA jacks. I can't remember seeing a TV with audio in jacks. If you want to listen to a second device I think you must treat it separately.

kransel

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Domino, I talked to Best Buy today about this. As long as your TV has a USB port, you can get a device from them that will blue tooth enable your TV. It is called a transmitter like you said. The one he recommended is just $20 and is called Rocky Fish. Let me know how it works.

Glynbo65

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
I bought a pair of Rapoo blue tooth with sender comes with 3.5ml just need a jack converter good for most tv or other audio devices ,, I bought them for metal detecting ,,,, so I could become wireless , 4ghtz response 18-22 comes with charger USB cable for both sender and phones , up to six hours on one charge,, cost £27 UK.....

Status
Not open for further replies.