How do i connect my speakers with regular speaker wires to single RCA audio output from subwoofer?

riavky

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
I have bought a new Vizio S3851 speaker system, which has a wireless subwoofer to which two rear speakers connect using a male to male RCA cable. Instead of using the rear speakers that came with subwoofer, I want to use the already pre-installed speakers (in the wall by previous home owner) which has regular speaker wire (single wire with copper and silver ends). I was wondering if I could simply use "RCA AV Audio Y Splitter 1 Male to 2 Female Plug Adapter" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HMMGFE/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3N9XEH7ROG7ZJ

This is how my subwoofer connection looks like.. Vizio and my speakers cables looks like this

Thanks

Solution
Those cables will work but you don't really need them as you only have to get to where the speaker wire comes out of the wall. Just cut a pair of RCA cables in half. There will be a center wire that connects to the positive and the shield, that wraps around the insulated center wire, is the negative.
The only potential problem is that you may not have enough power to drive the rears loud enough.

kanewolf

Judicious
IF, big if, it works at all, what you could try is taking a standard RCA patch cable (cheap one) and cutting it in half. Then twist the center conductor to the red/positive wire for your speakers and the shield (or braid) to the black/negative wire.

I can't find a manual or any pictures to confirm that there is amplified output from that unit. All the references I see are for all wireless connectivity, the "W" version.

Those cables will work but you don't really need them as you only have to get to where the speaker wire comes out of the wall. Just cut a pair of RCA cables in half. There will be a center wire that connects to the positive and the shield, that wraps around the insulated center wire, is the negative.
The only potential problem is that you may not have enough power to drive the rears loud enough.

Solution