Solved! How do I delete a folder on the SD card in Android Marshmallow 6

retiredbri

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
I have a Galaxy TabA 6 with Android Marshmallow 6. I'm using the File Manager feature and looking at the SD card. I want to delete a folder (that is already empty) on this SD card. I have the folder name highlighted in the left window. In this view, there is no "trash can" icon and under the "MORE" option there are only: Create; Add shortcut; and Conceal Hidden files choices. There is not a delete option.

Regards
Retiredbri

Solution
Well, if it is a folder you created then it should allow you to delete it. However if it is a folder the system uses (and may have hidden files in that you just can't see) then it wouldn't let you delete it.

So if it is a folder created by the phone, I would leave it be. A folder doesn't take up much space. If it, however, is a folder you created, and it won't let you delete it on the phone, you may want to try hooking the phone up to a computer via USB cord and locate and delete the folder on the phone via the computer.
Well, if it is a folder you created then it should allow you to delete it. However if it is a folder the system uses (and may have hidden files in that you just can't see) then it wouldn't let you delete it.

So if it is a folder created by the phone, I would leave it be. A folder doesn't take up much space. If it, however, is a folder you created, and it won't let you delete it on the phone, you may want to try hooking the phone up to a computer via USB cord and locate and delete the folder on the phone via the computer.

Solution

retiredbri

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
Hi webworkings, thanks for your reply.
That is the problem, there is not a "Delete" option
However if it is a folder the system uses (and may have hidden files in that you just can't see) then it wouldn't let you delete it.
It is not a System Folder (they are all in the the Internal Memory) and I leave those well alone. The folder I have created is in the SD memory.
So if it is a folder created by the phone,
It is not a phone but a Galaxy Tab A tablet with 16Gb Internal Memory and a 32Gb SD card.
......... hooking the phone up to a computer via USB cord and locate and delete the folder on the phone via the computer.
I can see the folders on my PC. The problem is that when I try to send pictures from my PC to a folder that I have created on the Tablet called "Photo 2016" they finish up in folder (again created on the Tablet ) called "Phota 2016". It is folder "Phota 2016" that I want to delete.
I'll keep looking

Apologies for saying phone. But the systems are basically the same since running on the same OS. :)

Have you tried actually emptying out the folder that you don't want things in and deleting that folder through the computer connection? Even though it is on the phone and not a card, it should still be accessible from the computer. The key is you need to access it just like any other folder, rather than through the manufacturers added software for access (if that is what you are using).

retiredbri

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
Hi
I'm starting to see the problem more clearly. This is my wife's tablet and we want to organise the photos better (mainly so that I can have a controlled backup method). She uses "Gallery" to create the folders and to see photos. These folders cannot be easily erased. Howver, we have found that if you create a folder but leave it empty, Gallery does not display it.
But the Marshmallow "File Manager" does display empty folders. My wife is happy to have a structured system in Gallery meanwhile, I will put up with empty folders it File Manager. The 32Gb SD card has over 4Gb of pictures so I'll leave the card alone.

Thanks again, because there isn't a simple solution, I'll live with the workaround.

retiredbri

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks - I do back the tablet up to my PC and with Marshmallow and the File Manager, things are a lot easier. I back up the daily things on my PC to a 64Gb USB drive and periodically, back up the PC to a 2Tb external Hard Drive.
Clearly, I have too much spare time on my hands.
Regards, Retiredbri