How do I get 5.1 surround from PC to TV to Receiver?

wagstaff13

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I am running a Acer desktop with a HDMI cable running from the PC to my HDTV. This HDTV has a SPDIF cable from the tv to my Samsung 5.1 surround sound receiver.
So basically I have this:
PC-->hdmi-->HDTV-->spdif-->RECIEVER

I have this exact setup with my Xbox and surround works perfectly.
What can I do to get 5.1 surround sound from my speakers?
Is this something simply like a setting, or is my hardware setup wrong?

Any feedback is appreciated!

EDIT
My computer is a desktop not a laptop, which has a A8 apu.
Specific model is: AM3470--EB30P
Running windows 7
Graphics card is built unto the apu (Radeon HD 6550D)

This is what it gives me in control panel: http://i.imgur.com/mVRP38l.png?1

drbones8472

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I have my PC hooked up to my surround sound system too. Get a double ended earphone cable. Hook up one end to the sound output on the back of your PC. Put an Earphone to RCA adapter on the other end of the Double Sided earphone cable. then just use the red and white parts of an RCA cable to hook up to the sound inputs of the receiver. I get perfect 5.1 sound out of that setup. All in all most people have an extra RCA cable around the house somewhere, so the Earphone to RCA and Double Sided Earphone cable should only cost about $10. Only issue you will have by doing this is that you may have to change some settings on your PC to actually have the sound come out the earphone port rather then your HDMI cable....but Windows ussualy detects everything and does it automatically.

Your desktop is using either on board sound or a sound card that you / Acer added.....it will output whatever 1) it is capable of and 2) from the choices available, what you have set it up to do. Open your sound config utility and set it for the output you want.

I'd also change

PC-->hdmi-->HDTV-->spdif-->RECIEVER

To

PC-->hdmi-->HDTV
PC-->spdif-->RECIEVER

wagstaff13

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

I actually have all the required cables for this. I am just in somewhat of a doubt that this would give me true 5.1 surround sound.

wagstaff13

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

A couple problems with this, 1. my pc doesnt have a spdif output. and 2. my receiver only has one spdif input. I need my xbox and my pc both to have surround sound

wagstaff13

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

I updated my OP with new info.

drbones8472

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Does Windows detect it as 5.1? No. However the signal being sent is still full 5.1 The Receiver then translates the signal to the speakers the sounds should go to. All the games, movies, and music I listen to have the correct sounds going to the correct speakers. back in the day Halo 2 CE came with a sound test for surround systems. (its my favorite sound test cuz its really stupid and kinda funny the way it does things.) BUT the tests it does are legit, and all the sounds go the correct speakers.

bgunner

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

not according to the pics he posted. that says the audio signal is strictly 2 channel. unless you can get that to say 5.1 OR 6 then it will still only produce 2 channel audio.

also sorry i must have misread the desktop part. Either way the solution is the same. is there a Realtek or VIA control panel? usually there is a setting in there to swap from 2.1 to 5.1. Does the motherboard support 5.1? easy check for this is there 6 3.5mm audio jacks on the back or just 3. 6= 5.1, 3= 2.1, with exceptions that 3= 5.1 only using spdif.

wagstaff13

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Sadly I don't have spdif and my pc only has 3 audio jacks... does this mean I have no option at all unless I get a new separate sound card?

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Try this. http://superuser.com/questions/342890/windows-7-says-hdmi-audio-is-2ch-max

It may work for you.

I recently bought an HD 4670 with HDMI out for my HTPC setup. I was having the same issue as you, but after much trial and error, finally found a fix.

Uninstall the Realtek auido driver.

Restart your PC.

Allow windows to auto-install the basic Windows HDMI driver.

Now download the following ATI Audio driver:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/pages/hdmi_xp.aspx?⟨=English

Download the ATI HDMI Audio Driver 9.2. Don't worry about the Microsoft one since Vista will have already done that for you.

I know that it says that it's for XP, but it works great in Vista. Install it, restart again.

Now go into the Sound Manger in Control Panel. Under the playback tab right click on the HDMI device, and select "Configure Speakers"

From there you should see the option for 5.1 sourround sound.

****Download drivers for windows 7****

bgunner

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

If "Feldmarschall's" or "DiaSin" suggestions fail then there is no other options but to get a sound card to get 5.1. Some are cheap in cost but also cheap on features. None that I know of will allow you to run the audio through an HDMI cable. They will do Analog (3.5mm jacks) or spdif (digital) but not HDMI.

if this plays out to be, then you will need to use analog signal to the receiver as you said your Receiver only has one SPDIF input.

wagstaff13

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

I am on windows 7 not vista but I tried this anyway. After reboot, it is still saying Stereo for my only option.