How do I get music from dual DVI monitors?

The Real Neato

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015
I have two monitors from Asus both connected via DVI (1 and D). Is there any way to get sound from both of them at the same time? I can currently only play music on one while still being able to hear clicking sounds on the other.

Also, Nvidia's control center does not seem to recognize the second monitor when I try to adjust the audio...

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
If they are connected directly though DVI then they are NOT getting audio since DVI does NOT support audio. SOME Graphics cards can support audio over DVI IF you use a DVI to HDMI Adapter AND have the SPDIF connector from the Motherboard to the GPU. I use to do this on my GTX 260. Had the Cable go from my motherboard to my graphics card and then a DVI to HDMI adapter and then the HDMI to my TV. I did have issues with white noise though.

So need more info. Are they all straight up DVI from Video card to DVI on monitor or are they DVI to HDMI adapters? What GPU do you have? And are you use the monitors are connect to via the 3.5MM headphone jack on the back of the PC? When you open up the Sound menu in Control panel what does it say your default sound device is?

Also windows doesn't support multiple sound outputs. You would have to get a Cable splitter and have them come from the same source.

The Real Neato

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Core (TM) i7 = 4930K CPU @ 3.4 GHz.
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Gaming Motherboard

Hi and thanks.

So I was wrong - one of the monitors IS a DVI to HDMI as that's the only way to get a picture to appear and sound to come out. The other is connected with the DVI and the headphone jack as mentioned. I'm not sure about the SPDIF connector as I don't see anything, but I think you've answered my question. The reason I was messing with the sound in the first place was because of this annoying crackling sound when playing games.

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
The newer graphics cards dont need that connector since they have audio capability in them.

SO you have it setup like this.

|DVI --> HDMI Adapter --> HDMI Plug on monitor
PC
|DVI --> DVI Plug on monitor

Now here it the thing regardless of how it is connected.

Using the audio out of the Video card and using the Head phone back on the PC are TWO different Sound cards which it NOT supported.
If you want sound from both of them you have to use a 3.5mm headphone jack splitter and connect them both though the headphone jack and just use DVI for both the monitors.