How do I go back from Ubuntu to Windows10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2018
I am really struggling here, Ubuntu seems to be corrupted and no better than Win10 was but at least I knew how to use win10. I cannot get rid on Ubuntu now and reinstall win10, what ever I try there always seems to be a step missed. I've downloaded the win media creation tool plus iso and various others but they won't run and I don't know how to access them. I am trying to avoid paying someone else to do it but have no idea what I'm doing really. I can't seem to find anyone that speak simple English (simple enough for me anyway).

Solution
From the above linked directions:

When you get to the point of the install when it asks 'where'...select Custom.
Delete ALL existing partitions on that drive.
Section II, Step 6 & 7.

Again, delete ALL partitions and reformat the drive.

USAFRet

Illustrious

How did you create your Win 10 install?
The MediaCreation tool won't run in Ubuntu.
From a working Windows PC, here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then, this:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Jul 7, 2018
I've done that but how do I get it to run in Ubuntu? I keep getting freezes meaning a restart. I've got the USB showing and the media creation tool1803exe but then what? I cannot open/run it!

Jul 7, 2018
Even your solution seem to have steps missing to me. It was a blank usb untill I put that file on it but no one gives simple step by step instructions. Can you give me a clear instruction?

USAFRet

Illustrious

You don't put that MediaCreation file on the USB.

You run it on the PC, and that will create the needed Win 10 install data on the USB.
Then you put that USB into the system you wish to change from Ubuntu to WIn 10.
Boot from that USB, and follow the directions.

The above link, starting at Step 1.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

Jul 7, 2018
"You don't put that MediaCreation file on the USB.

You run it on the PC, and that will create the needed Win 10 install data on the USB.
Then you put that USB into the system you wish to change from Ubuntu to WIn 10.
Boot from that USB, and follow the directions."

That was a crucial step that no one until now had pointed out so I have got a little further on.
The next sticking point is
Windows set up -"windows cannot be installed to this hard disc space. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS.
Windows cannot be installed to this hard disc space. The partition is an EFI system partition"

Whatever that means!

USAFRet

Illustrious
From the above linked directions:

When you get to the point of the install when it asks 'where'...select Custom.
Delete ALL existing partitions on that drive.
Section II, Step 6 & 7.

Again, delete ALL partitions and reformat the drive.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.