How do I partition and format a new hard drive if I can't reach disk managment

arturner1

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
I have a Compaq Presario CQ62-417NR and the hard drive crashed (error 303). So I bought a new hard drive and installed it correctly, but since it is blank I cant reach disk management to partition nor format the new hard drive. I have a windows 7 upgrade disc but do I need the windows 7 installation disc in order to make it work??? I am very confused and any help would be appreciated. Also when I try to install Windows 7 instead of upgrading it, it always get stuck on "expanding windows files 0%".

Soak11

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
Boot from either a windows installation DVD or USB Stick when prompted to install there will also be an option to repair you can go through the repair menu to get to a command prompt or press Alt-F10 .
Once in the command Prompt you'll probably be at X:\sources Type Diskpart if it doesn't recognize the command you'll have to navigate to the system32 folder try "cd X:\windows\system32" <Enter>. Once your able to execute the diskpart command you'll be in the Diskpart shell type Help to see a list of commands. If your not comfortable formatting from a command prompt perhaps search for the exact commands you will be needing.

vishaal judhakkar

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014
try active boot disk sofware which might sort u out with the best solution..this is not an windows installation software...its a bootable software that can run without an operating system...go for it..your solution lies there