How do I record one channel while watching another channel?

fsin52

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Ok I have two cable boxes, a Sony Bravia Smart TV, Sony DVD/VHS recorder, A Sony Blue Ray Player, a Apple TV device, a Nintendo Super MarioGame system and finally I want to hook up external antenna to watch over the air free tv in case my cable goes out? Can someone plz draw a diagram so I can do this? Thank You very much!

Solution
1. Connect Cable box 1, BD player, Apple TV, DVD/VHS, and Game to the TV. Use HDMI where you can. This is for viewing/playback.
2. Connect the AV output of cable box 2 to the AV input on the VHS. Select this input as your source. This is to record from cable box 2. Set the box to the channel you want to record and the timer on the VHS. You can't change cable channels with the VHS.
3. Connect the ova antenna to the antenna input on the TV. Set the TV for over the air and run channel scan This is for watching ova TV.
The tuner in your DVD/VHS is probably not an ATSC digital tuner but if it were you could split the antenna lead and connect to both the TV and recorder.
1. Connect Cable box 1, BD player, Apple TV, DVD/VHS, and Game to the TV. Use HDMI where you can. This is for viewing/playback.
2. Connect the AV output of cable box 2 to the AV input on the VHS. Select this input as your source. This is to record from cable box 2. Set the box to the channel you want to record and the timer on the VHS. You can't change cable channels with the VHS.
3. Connect the ova antenna to the antenna input on the TV. Set the TV for over the air and run channel scan This is for watching ova TV.
The tuner in your DVD/VHS is probably not an ATSC digital tuner but if it were you could split the antenna lead and connect to both the TV and recorder.

Solution

fsin52

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

fsin52

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Thanks for the answer to my question americanaudiophile. The DVD/VHS player is a ATSC digital turner. I was able to hook up everything yesterday with the help of a friend. I did have to use a splitter to be able to send the cable signal to cable box 2. It is working fine so thank you very much!