How do I remove personal information from my Compaq LTE 5300 before selling it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2018
How do I remove personal information from a Compaq LTE 5300 before selling it? Is there a hard drive I have to remove? The computer works and has Word and other software on it. I'd like to keep the software on it for the buyer.

Solution

Full wipe and reinstall. Nothing less.
What OS is on it?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Full wipe and reinstall. Nothing less.
What OS is on it?

Solution

InvalidError

Distinguished
If your SSD or HDD contains sensitive data that you don't want to see resurface, you need to either use the long-format method for HDDs which writes a test pattern to every sector then reads it back to check for bad sectors or use the SSD vendor's secure-erase tool to ensure even the over-provision space (extra space to help with wear leveling and substitute for worn-out pages) gets cleaned out.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Windows 98?
Oh my....

I don't suppose you know the hardware specs of this?
How much are you selling it for?

Dec 13, 2018

Not sure yet

USAFRet

Illustrious

Unless it is $15, and the new owner really, really knows what he's doing with it....he's getting ripped off.
Seriously.

Anything old enough to still be running Win98 needs a careful touch.
It is not a viable system for everyday use in 2018.

Dec 13, 2018

Thanks for the info. If you look on EBAY, there are a few Compaq selling for quite a bit of money. Some are for parts and some work. I will be honest about the computer when I sell it.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I only say that because Win 98 and that system is not viable today.
Long out of support and vulnerable to all sorts of malware, and will not run current applications.

An unsuspecting user will see a PC shaped box, and assume it is no different than what you'd buy today.
Do you have a buyer lined up, or are you in the planning stages of this?

InvalidError

Distinguished

I suspect most people looking for a Win98 system have specific uses for it, such as running legacy software that doesn't run properly on Win2k/XP and newer or hardware that doesn't have drivers/software for anything newer either. That's the only reason I can think of for Win98-era systems to still have any value today. I still have an old Toshiba laptop I keep around mainly for use as a serial terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.