How do I uninstall a Chrome extension labeled "installed by enterprise policy"?

shabamjenkins

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I recently tried to stream a football game and foolishly installed the streaming program that it made me install to watch it. After cleaning off most of the malware that came with it I'm still left with an extension that I can't seem to uninstall. The extension is called "live player 3.2" and it says it is "installed by enterprise policy". This is on my personal computer and I have no idea how to remove this extension as it's causing pop-ups and aggravating me to no end. How do I uninstall this extension without reinstalling chrome?

Chrome Version (type about:version into your omnibox):29.0.1547.76 (Official Build 223446) m
Operating System (Windows 7/8/Vista/XP, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS): Windows 8

Only way I know how to delete such extensions is to uninstall/re-install Chrome. The same extensions might still be there after re-installing, but the wording will change to "installed by third party" and there will now be a trash can next to it which wasn't there before.

tech_99

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Re-installing Chrome won't help. Such rogue extensions can re-install themselves easily. They use update files and other files .crx if I remember correctly to check if the extension is still there. If not, it re-installs itself. Chrome is working on a fix right now. Meanwhile, this might be useful:

http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2014/02/remove-installed-by-enterprise-policy.html

Also, a thread on Chrome forum:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/G6ywciNxZFc%5B1-25-true%5D

Cheers!

SAHMnerd

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
I'm seconding tech_99's advice. I used the deletemalware link and it seems to have fixed the issue. The only problem I had was that I couldn't find the extension ID in the registry but there were others that had that issue in the comments. After doing everything else I restarted the computer and it's gone from the extensions list in settings so here's hoping.