How do I use a cable box and a digital TV tuner.

ryanram

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Here's the setup, I have one Comcast basic cable box. It only has 1 cable input and 1 cable output. I want TV on my projector except it does not have any sort of cable input. So, I needed something to convert from cable to hdmi. The cheapest thing I could find was a digital converter box. So, I set it up as such Comcast Cable Box->Digital Converter Box->Projecter, it will not work. I figured I could just go to channel 3 on the digital converter box and flip through channels via the comcast cable box. Instead of that, I get about 6 channels through the digital converter box and none of them are the input from the comcast box. Can I get these two things to work together? I really need someway of going from cable to hdmi.

Solution
Ok. Assuming that this is your projector and given your above statement, I think I understand what's wrong here. You're taking a 480i image and trying to display it on a 1080p display. The output of your display is not supposed to be displayed on a high-resolution screen/display.

Now according to the specifications listed on the link above, you have the following inputs:

Composite video RCA jack
HDMI (video, audio, HDCP)
RS232 mini-DIN
S-video mini-DIN
USB Mini-B
analog/RGB (D-sub)
two analog/RGB component video (D-sub)
two PC audio stereo mini-jack

Probably the cheapest option you have would be to purchase an old VCR with a coaxial input and a composite output. Otherwise, you're probably going to want to contact your cable...
Your digital converter box seems to be pulling in your local channels. It generally converts the digital over-the-air broadcast to analog for older non-digital ready TVs.

What projector do you have? It would be easier to go from coaxial output of your cable set top box to an analog input (composit, s-video, component) on your projector. There is absolutely benefit going coaxial to HDMI unless you have some sort of upscale unit in between.

Also, what happens when you connect your coaxial cable from the wall, directly to your digital tuner's input?

-Wolf sends

ryanram

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

I have an Acer Value DLP projector. I've tried using composite video in and it looked pretty bad, that's the main reason I bought the box is for Coax in and HDMI out. When I plugged the converter box directly into the cable in the wall, it said "No Signal."

Ok. Assuming that this is your projector and given your above statement, I think I understand what's wrong here. You're taking a 480i image and trying to display it on a 1080p display. The output of your display is not supposed to be displayed on a high-resolution screen/display.

Now according to the specifications listed on the link above, you have the following inputs:

Composite video RCA jack
HDMI (video, audio, HDCP)
RS232 mini-DIN
S-video mini-DIN
USB Mini-B
analog/RGB (D-sub)
two analog/RGB component video (D-sub)
two PC audio stereo mini-jack

Probably the cheapest option you have would be to purchase an old VCR with a coaxial input and a composite output. Otherwise, you're probably going to want to contact your cable company and get a digital set top box with an HDMI output. Note that standard cable channels are not HD either. You're going to want to go with a lower resolution on your projector. Unfortunately, the lower resolution image, mixed with the larger resolution display will always produce a poor image. The larger the screen size the worse it's going to appear.

-Wolf sends

Solution