I'm attempting to bridge connections from my wife's phone and my phone but my computer won't let me use wireless network connection from the internal wifi card and the USB WiFi card. In device manager, the USB WiFi card is showing no problems but yet when I attempt to disable the internal wifi card, it won't let me use the USB WiFi card to connect to wifi. How can I use the USB WiFi card to bridge with my internal wifi card?
If the internal WiFi is actually working, there would be no need for an external one. It sounds like you are getting a conflict between the two, and your system isn't sure which to use. Try starting with the internal one. Make sure it is actually working. I will include instructions on how to see if you can resolve its issue. Then you will need to set up the phone as a "Hotspot" for the computer to be able to use it.
Side note, using a phone for that can run up data extremely fast, so be sure you know the limitations and restrictions of your plan with your carrier.
First, make sure your laptop is 'not' connected to the modem/router via an Ethernet cable and follow the steps:
1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".
3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".
4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.
5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.
6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "Wi-Fi networks".
7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".
8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.
It should now be connected.
NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your modem/router, and then once it is fully loaded again, repeat the above steps.
If this doesn't work, test seeing if your laptop will connect via Ethernet. If so, then your WiFi card may be going. You can either look to replace it/have it replaced, or get an external (plugs in via USB) WiFi card.
And for the WiFi hotspot through a phone...
On your phone go to...
1. "Settings" and tap "Wireless & Networks" and then tap "More".
2. Next tap "Tethering & portable hotspot" and then tap "Turn on WiFi hotspot".
3. Now tap "Set up WiFi hotspot".
4. Here you will set up a network name & password, but leave the security as it is.
4. Go back 2 screens and tap "Turn on WiFi hotspot".
5. Finally get your laptop and look for the wireless hotspot by the name you assigned it and then enter the password.