How to change default display adapter

God Of The Pickles

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Hey everybody!

So I just bought this new monitor featuring a 1440p display with a refresh rate of 144hz. Like many monitors, it doesn't come out of the box with 144hz enabled. When I try to enable it through the display adapter properties menu however, the option doesn't even come up. I went through some of the custom options and found a 120hz setup that was at 720p, definitely not what I was looking for. I know the monitor has the 144hz capabilities and I believe that the issue is that the Intel 530 HD graphics in my laptop is the default display adapter rather than my Nvidia Geforce 965m. My Nvidia card is set as my preferred graphics processor in the control panel but I still see the Intel card for the display adapter option. How do I change the default display adapter so that I can use 1440p with 144hz (or at least 1080p)?

Thanks

Solution
Check with the manufacturer, or your manual, to see for certain if they are in deed using different GPUs, and if so, if there is a way around it.

God Of The Pickles

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

Thanks for replying. What would you recommend I do then? I have the monitor and laptop connected through HDMI.