Solved! How to connect a subwoofer that uses speaker wire to receiver that has jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

a617802

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
I currently have the Onkyo HT-S3500 home theater package and I want to upgrade the receiver to something 4k capable. I was looking at the Sony STRDH550 and while it has speaker wire connections for the 5 speakers, the subwoofer connection uses a plug-type (sorry I don't know the correct term).

Back of Onkyo receiver:
81tV90qyLPL._SL1500_.jpg

Back of Sony receiver:
61MN7aaqQfL._SL1200_.jpg

Is it possible to connect my subwoofer to this type of receiver, or will I need to find one that has a connection specifically for speaker wire?

Thanks so much!!

Solution

Buy a powered sub ( parts express has 80w by 8", 100w by 10", 150w by 15"... You get it....that has speaker level ( speaker wire from amp posts) and low level input...( rca jacks, 3.5mm jacks). Low level is going to be clearer, but if a you git is speaker level, go with that. These modern powered subs connect ( in some cases) with the speaker posts on amp to "line in" ( red and white rca). From there the front speakers connect directly to sub in speaker out. This allows sub to stop...

a617802

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018

Thanks. Are there any receivers out there that let me connect my current subwoofer? Almost all the ones I've looked at online have the jack-style powered sub connection.

scott.munoz.2007

Prominent
May 21, 2018

Buy a powered sub ( parts express has 80w by 8", 100w by 10", 150w by 15"... You get it....that has speaker level ( speaker wire from amp posts) and low level input...( rca jacks, 3.5mm jacks). Low level is going to be clearer, but if a you git is speaker level, go with that. These modern powered subs connect ( in some cases) with the speaker posts on amp to "line in" ( red and white rca). From there the front speakers connect directly to sub in speaker out. This allows sub to stop sending frequencies above your desired crossover point (60-120hz). Meaning your mains can use all of their power from amp for mids and highs, and sub picks up everything below crossover frequency, which varies. I saw a refurbished 10" Dayton audio powered by 80w amp powered by wall, not your amplofier refurbished for $70 today. No this isn't a lot of wattage, but for $70. 100w 10" new go for $120. Hope I helped

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.