How to connect an EQ to my mixer?

Shpeckledorf

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
I have a mackie sr32-4 and I also have a DBX - 231 EQ. I take a 1/4 cable and plug the input of the EQ to the aux send 2 of the board, and Im not sure where the output goes because the aux returns are all stereo.

Any ideas?

Solution
First of all, an EQ doesn't work with an aux send.

There are two different kinds of effects: send effects and insert effects.

- Send effects add NEW sounds to your audio - e.g.: reverb, chorus

- Insert effects modify EXISTING sound you already have - e.g. compression, EQ, voice changer

Send effects use an after-fader aux send and an aux return. Use a Y splitter if the return is stereo.

Insert effects must be used with an insert/return jack that breaks the signal path to insert the device.

(Pre-fader aux sends are for monitor amps and speakers for performers)

A send effect can be used with all of your sound sources. Use the send controls to adjust how much of each gets sent to the effect.

If you want to use an insert device with...

Midi-Magic

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
First of all, an EQ doesn't work with an aux send.

There are two different kinds of effects: send effects and insert effects.

- Send effects add NEW sounds to your audio - e.g.: reverb, chorus

- Insert effects modify EXISTING sound you already have - e.g. compression, EQ, voice changer

Send effects use an after-fader aux send and an aux return. Use a Y splitter if the return is stereo.

Insert effects must be used with an insert/return jack that breaks the signal path to insert the device.

(Pre-fader aux sends are for monitor amps and speakers for performers)

A send effect can be used with all of your sound sources. Use the send controls to adjust how much of each gets sent to the effect.

If you want to use an insert device with a single sound source, use the channel strip insert/return connection or put the device before the mixer input.

If you want the insert device to affect all signals, put it in a bus insert, output insert, or after the mixer.

I know that sr32-4 mixer. It has channel inserts (needs special cable) and mixing bus inserts.

If you want EQ on a stereo mix, you must have a stereo EQ unit.

Solution

Midi-Magic

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
More about the Mackie sr32-4:

Aux sends 1 and 2 are pre-fader monitor sends. They are for providing monitor signals for the performers through monitor amps and speakers. These do not change their outputs when you move the channel faders.

Aux sends 5 and 6 are after-fader send-effect sends. They are used with send effects to add new sounds derived from the sound sources (e.g. reverb). These change their outputs when you move the channel faders so the effect diminishes when you diminish the sound source.

Aux sends 3 and 4 can be switched to be either pre-fader monitor sends or after-fader effect sends. Make sure all of the channel strip switches are in the same position for what you are using the send for.