how to connect usb desktop speakers to sub woofer with single RCA input

Bballer

Estimable
May 13, 2015
I have a Sony sub woofer. My current desktop speakers have an rca output wire that plugs into the sub woofer, which is powered separately. The desktop speakers are powered by USB. I want to replace the desktop speakers and am looking for new desktop speakers with an output wire to a standalone sub woofer. Any suggestions?

Solution
Whats your actual pc specs ??

If its a desktop then it likely already has a proper sub & centre speaker out.

They tend to be on the same 3.5mm jack & just need splitting up.

Link to the other thread so we can see what we are dealing with.

Bballer

Estimable
May 13, 2015

The desktop speakers are micro innovative MM610D, which have an RCA male out plug, which plugs into my Sony SA-W303 subwoofer. The im speakers are plugged into a splitter along with a single CA brand speaker (model unknown) that I use as a center speaker. I need to replace the mi speakers. Would I lose sound quality if I have 3 speakers powered by the PC sound card? Is there a sound card that has an RCA out socket dedidicated for a subwoofer? I have a Dell Optiplex 790 i5-2500.

Bballer

Estimable
May 13, 2015

The subwoofer is not connected to the pc directly. It receives its signal from one of the desktop speakers, which has a male RCA plug on a wire coming out the back. The wire is specifically for a subwoofer that I replaced a few years ago with a Sony. I explained the setup in detail in a thread yesterday. The desktop speaker also has a male 3.5 plug that I plug into a two-way splitter along with my center speaker; the male end of the splitter plugs into the back of my pc. I think I may have to buy a sound card that has a subwoofer out socket, along with a 3.5 audio out socket, if they make them if I can't find another desktop speaker with a subwoofer RCA out cord. Alternatively, I suppose I could put a splitter on the back of the pc with on side feeding the subwoofer and the other the splitter for the desktop and center speakers. I prefer the current cofiguration if I can find destop spkeakers with a subwoofer out single RCA (or 3.5) plug. I think I have an adapter that I can convert a 3.5 to RCA.

Bballer

Estimable
May 13, 2015

Bballer

Estimable
May 13, 2015
As I posted yesterday, would splitting from the signal from the pc 3 ways compromise sound quality? Would the sound from the subwoofer be affected? I have assumed that the subwoofer signal from the desktop speaker was boosted for the subwoofer like my component system, which has a dedicated subwoofer output socket. Of course, I could be wrong about the desktop speaker subwoofer output.

Bballer

Estimable
May 13, 2015
I saw I setup on Amazon that has the subwoofer connected to the pc and desktop speakers to the sub. My sub has standard speaker wire outputs for 4 speakers. If I can't find desktop pc speakers to feed the sub, or that come with standard speaker wire for input, I could just go old school with 2 bookshelf speakers, which I already have and a center speaker. I can connect the sub to the pc with a 2.5 to RCA cable. I hope it works so I won't have to buy new speakers.

Thanks for the help!

That´s what I would do too :)
Was a bit confused because your desktop speaker system usually is a 2.1 and the information that you connected the sony sub instead of the other one.

Btw, sound quality should increase by directly using the onboard ports of your motherboard

should be a 3.5 port at your PC

Whats your actual pc specs ??

If its a desktop then it likely already has a proper sub & centre speaker out.

They tend to be on the same 3.5mm jack & just need splitting up.

Link to the other thread so we can see what we are dealing with.

Solution

Bballer

Estimable
May 13, 2015
Thanks for your direction and patience helpstar. I learned my way to your original suggestion. I had no idea that pc audio accomodates SUBWOOFERS and desktop speakers on a single socket. Now I have several options.