How to detect incoming traffic when someone is trying to hack router?

zorrohere

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Recently I have noticed that my network kind of slows down and if I try to access my router, it has maxed out login attempts.

I have

■ TP link router, TL-WR841N
    ■ WiFi network is hidden
    ■ I have disabled WPS from start
    ■ The password to control panel is long and complex

Contacting my provider won't be a big help so if I want to know if someone is messing with my network I will have to find out myself. So anything I can do log incoming traffic to my router? Maybe login attempts specifically? Any precautions I should take so I won't have to worry about it? Or it happens with everyone with automated attacks and I should just ignore it?

Solution
Not totally sure about the situation you are in.

Overall it is not difficult to write a program that will generate multiple attempts to log into a network and offer up various passwords if and when prompted.

As I understand the documentation your TL-WR841N does have logs available.

Reference:

http://static.tp-link.com/1910012221_TL-WR841N(EU)(US)_V13_UG.pdf

See Page 69.

No harm in attempts to access your network per se as long as those attempts are thwarted.

Be aware of those attempts and keep an eye on things.

And be sure to have recovery discs/USB drives etc. available should some attack succeed. Data and system backups are critical. Do them and verify that they work.

Watch. If the firewalls and all are doing their...
Not totally sure about the situation you are in.

Overall it is not difficult to write a program that will generate multiple attempts to log into a network and offer up various passwords if and when prompted.

As I understand the documentation your TL-WR841N does have logs available.

Reference:

http://static.tp-link.com/1910012221_TL-WR841N(EU)(US)_V13_UG.pdf

See Page 69.

No harm in attempts to access your network per se as long as those attempts are thwarted.

Be aware of those attempts and keep an eye on things.

And be sure to have recovery discs/USB drives etc. available should some attack succeed. Data and system backups are critical. Do them and verify that they work.

Watch. If the firewalls and all are doing their jobs then attacks can be ignored.

Keep up on things and strengthen defenses as you deem applicable and appropriate.

Should be okay thereafter.

Solution