How to disable/turn off my Asus laptop built in keyboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_689

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
Well, I accidently spill some coffee on my laptop, after drying my laptop, the keyboard is acting weird, but I do not have time to clean the keyboard, so I'll use a USB keyboard until I have time to deal with it. So, may I know how could I disable the built in keyboard?

Solution
Uninstalling drivers won't work because windows will acquire it automatically. Also you can't disable it through system device manager.
So there are two ways.
1. Unplug the connector inside the laptop (but that would be more effort than cleaning the keyboard)

2. Disable your device using DevManView
2.1 Download DevManView
2.2 Sort list by "Device Type Code" and search for "Keyboard"
2.3 Internal keyboard will be called something like "PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)"
Right-click on it and you will be able to disable it
(You might get an error -xxxxxx, but that does not change anything)
2.4 Restart your computer and Voila!

You will be able to enable it anytime by using DevManView or system...

Bratka

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
Uninstalling drivers won't work because windows will acquire it automatically. Also you can't disable it through system device manager.
So there are two ways.
1. Unplug the connector inside the laptop (but that would be more effort than cleaning the keyboard)

2. Disable your device using DevManView
2.1 Download DevManView
2.2 Sort list by "Device Type Code" and search for "Keyboard"
2.3 Internal keyboard will be called something like "PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)"
Right-click on it and you will be able to disable it
(You might get an error -xxxxxx, but that does not change anything)
2.4 Restart your computer and Voila!

You will be able to enable it anytime by using DevManView or system Device manager, and restarting the computer.

EDIT: This might also disable your touchpad. So you might need a USB mouse too.

Solution

LeighC

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017

LeighC

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017
Hi Bratka, I tried your suggestion but the only Keyboard option I have is HID Keyboard, there was no PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key). Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.