How to find a stolen laptop if chrome is still synching on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalamari Kalamari

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
Greetings,

About two weeks ago i had my laptop stolen. Today as I was checking my history tab on chrome in my office desktop pc, I saw about 40 pages that I never visited. The thief used the stolen laptop and chrome, and was stupid enough not to log me out. Among the pages he visited were a dozen of facebook pages. (I am mentioning this cause visiting facebook would mean that he would type an email and a password to enter, at least for the first time).

Is there a way that i could track him, or track the email and password he uses to enter his facebook page? Is it possible to retrieve the stolen lapton in anyway?

Police is notified but I dont see them taking any measures.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
"It seemed to me that a careful examination of the room and the lawn might possibly reveal some traces of this mysterious individual. You know my methods, Watson. There was not one of them which I did not apply to the inquiry. And it ended by my discovering traces, but very different ones from those which I had expected."

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door, the window, or the chimney. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room, as there is no concealment possible. When, then, did he come?"

"Elementary," said he. "It is one of those instances where the reasoner can produce...

Kalamari Kalamari

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
Well, firstly thanks for answering "rgd1101" and "Construct" but you were both wrong. Good news!!! The laptop is on its way back to me as we speak.
This is how: Even though when you log into your facebook page (news page not your profile page) it is still written as www.facebook.com, when u check your friends' profiles it written as www.facebook.com/(friends name here)/. The "thief" visited six friend's profiles and four games using facebook. 4/6 facebook profiles where unlocked and I could see their friends. To tell a long story short, by checking all these facebook profiles and comparing friends and by checking last played games and by hoping that the "thief" would have his facebook profile unlocked, I spent about 12 hours. At the end only one facebook account was related directly to all the above pages. Moreover, this facebook account was related to some of the non-facebook pages the "thief" visited. So I had a name... I thought i caught him... and I was right... in a way.
Re-contacted the police with all the new evidence and they told me to print all the evidence I had, write a report and then they would probably send a police car to check this person. The bad news were that his facebook page reported that he lives 500km away and that could take more than a month! You could also tell by his facebook photos that he seemed like a normal guy with family and friends and not like someone who would commit burglaries. Another police officer suggested that he is probably just the buyer of the laptop from the thief and that he probably doesn't even realise that it was stolen!
Just by checking the phonebook of that area I found his phone and home address. I called him and told him that the laptop is under continuous surveilance... I didn't even have to tell him that if he doesn't give it back I will procceed with criminal charges. He admitted that he bought it off the street from a suspicious guy straight away and that he doesnt want any further involvement with the police as he is, as it turns out, just a family guy. He went to a courier service and sent it and gave me the package number! In exchange I would take back my police statement.
Now I'm just waiting for the courier to knock on my door!

Thank you all!

B_S

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014
"It seemed to me that a careful examination of the room and the lawn might possibly reveal some traces of this mysterious individual. You know my methods, Watson. There was not one of them which I did not apply to the inquiry. And it ended by my discovering traces, but very different ones from those which I had expected."

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door, the window, or the chimney. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room, as there is no concealment possible. When, then, did he come?"

"Elementary," said he. "It is one of those instances where the reasoner can produce an effect which seems remarkable to his neighbour, because the latter has missed the one little point which is the basis of the deduction."

Solution

Kalamari Kalamari

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
Its been a while, solution is in the big post above. Picked B_S answer as the solution cause i got lots of Sherlock quotes by my friends for retreaving the stolen lapton. I hope my case helps others.

Status
Not open for further replies.