*How To Find Point Of Hardware Failure For Laptop?*

JelliedGnome

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I have an old Asus G73JH gaming laptop (around 5 years old now) that hasn't worked for awhile now. Just got back into SWTOR and want a laptop to play it on so I can play on the go but don't have a ton of money (gotta love weddings) so I want to resurrect the old girl. I have a decent theory (maybe?) but I wanted some other opinions. Here are the symptoms:

*all while pugged in*
After power button is pressed here is what turns on:
1. Status lights (keyboard baklight (even though it isn't on), charging, HDD (more on that later)
2. Power button light
Also once powered on the power button does nothing. Only way to turn off is by unplugging and pulling battery.

What doesn't work:
1. Screen (thought maybe back light wasn't working so shinned flashlight on it and the screen is displaying nothing.
2. Fans don't turn on at all.
3. HDD has no activity at all. (Checked it and there is nothing wrong with it)
Literally nothing besides a couple of lights work.

I tried the sniff test all over the laptop and the brick and nothing smells like there was a short. I haven't tried another power brick but I don't think that will help anything since if it wasn't working the lights would turn on. Also opened it up and replaced the CMOS battery and it didn't fix a thing. I'm thinking it is the mainboard although I would assume that nothing (including lights) would work if that was the case. My other thought was the CPU failed but everything should post then and give me an error. Only other thing I could think of was the GPU failed but then only the screen wouldn't work. Anybody have any ideas what it could be? I know I will have to replace the CPU, GPU, or mainboard but I'd rather not replace the mainboard and the CPU to find out it was the GPU.