How to format SD Card to Internal Memory on VIVO Y71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2018
I've been looking for a way to move my apps from internal memory to sd card on this phone, found out I have to format the SD Card as Internal first.

I've also been looking to ways to format the card. They said it's as simple as go to settings > storage. Or via the setup SD Card notification.

Problem is, my phone somehow doesn't have the 'storage' option in the settings menu.
Could it be that the manufacturer had tempered with the system, hiding the options?
If so, how do I make them reappear?

I tried removing and reinserting the card, but the notification doesn't come out. I remember the first time I inserted my card when I bought the phone, it did asked me if I want to format it. But now it just doesn't.

My android version is 8.1

Solution
In the case of that device, because it isn't running straight Android, altered version, you may need to located "Device" in "Settings" and then "Storage" may be found in there. It is because it also has the Funtouch OS 4.0 and not just straight up Android.
The way to do it is the following, so if it is not there or missing a step then your phone either doesn't have the right version of Android or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer. If that is the case, you will not be able to use this information.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage - Option A

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage - Option B

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Jun 5, 2018

I told you there's no 'Storage' option in the settings.

In the case of that device, because it isn't running straight Android, altered version, you may need to located "Device" in "Settings" and then "Storage" may be found in there. It is because it also has the Funtouch OS 4.0 and not just straight up Android.

Solution
Jun 12, 2018
I also have the same problem. There no "Move to SD Card" in Y71. Also, in settings, the size of internal storage is 16 GB, but if you look at the iManager, it will show that it is almost half full and have only 4.5+ GB left. Which means that it only has about 8.25 of storage. Using the ES File Expkorer, it will the TRUE space of your internal storage which is 8.25 GB (As referred to 16 GB models). But in the file manager, it shows the amount of your internal storage (8.25) + your SD Card Space (mine is 14 GB). So in my file manager it will show the total of that and then the amount available left. Now I'm left wondering whether if you full your internal storage, will it automatically switch to SD since there is no option to switch? So all of that 26 GB space will be used 100%?

Hope someone can help us.

Oct 8, 2018

I think he dont get it. Same problem to me. Cant find any 'storage' button. PLEASE HELP US BEFORE WE BANNED VIVO BRANDS FROM OUR LIFE FOREVER!!

Status
Not open for further replies.