How to free up disk space??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellie-Elz

Prominent
May 5, 2017
I have a brand new Lenovo IdeaPad 110s. It has 32GB of storage. I followed the set up screen instructions and then checked for updates. It gets 95% through the updates then says there isn't enough disk space.
I haven't loaded anything onto this laptop. No photos, no videos, no music, nothing, it is brand new, yet the hard drive is almost completely full.
I've tried disk cleanup and uninstalling the preinstalled games and apps but the storage is barely moving.
Please can someone help? I'm so frustrated.
Thank you in advance :)

Solution

What OS is it?
If Win 10, yes...this happens.
The Anniversary release back in August, and the Creators release last month, are basically full reinstalls. And as such, a 32GB drive is not enough for the new...

Mister_MO

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Did you in disc cleanup went to clean up system files and there cleaned out previous windows installations? Buying 32gb anything with windows is quite big mistake as it is extremely limiting. You can also disable or move swap file to different drive, for example sd card or usb flash.

mamasan2000

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Same happened with my cheap laptop so I just nuked and paved. Installed Linux instead. Takes up like 6 gigs instead of all the crap Windows comes with. Can barely save a text-file.
I would recommend finding out your Win10 cdkey first tho. Theres a utility/program around that shows you what it is. Write it down on paper. In case you want to go back to Win10 in the future.

Just options.
EDIT: If Linux interests someone on a 200 dollar laptop, Google Linuxium.
I have Asus E200HA. Everything worked on my laptop from first boot, even gestures. Only downside is no sound. But that should come in kernel 4.12 for Intel Atoms/cx2072x soundchip. Meanwhile, external soundcard works.

32GB isn't enough if that's the only storage drive your laptop has.

Windows installation & all the proprietary extra stuff that Lenovo pre-installs, plus the factory recovery partition, will already be using a sizeable portion of that.

I find it hard to believe it only came with a 32GB hard drive but on checking the specs of that model I see it's true. Ridiculous. One review says it's suitable only as a "secondary laptop or first laptop for kids". With only 32GB storage I agree with that.

You need to fit a larger capacity hard drive, at least 320GB if not more.

Mister_MO

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

There shouldn't be need to remember cd key as since windows 8 microsoft uses their database to match hardware with cd key, so if you install windows without entering cd key and attempt to activate, it will check hardware from microsoft and activate with corresponding cd key.

USAFRet

Illustrious

What OS is it?
If Win 10, yes...this happens.
The Anniversary release back in August, and the Creators release last month, are basically full reinstalls. And as such, a 32GB drive is not enough for the new OS and when it attempts to create the Windows.old and download the whole Update file.

I had exactly this happen with my little Asus Transformer. It also has a 32GB drive.
Useful only as a web browsing machine.
The 32GB eMMC drives in these things are simply too small, even with just the bare OS.

Solution?
Create a Win 10 install USB, boot from that and run it as if it were a clean install.
It will pick up the original OS license, and simply reinstall itself, but with all/most of the current updates.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.