Solved! How to get 7.2 from PC to Sony STR-KM7000

Lachiepower0402

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
So I've just picked up a Sony STR-KM7000 reciever with the speaker bundle. I've hooked a HDMI cable from my PC to BD input and then another HDMI cable from the output to my monitor. Then when I go to play some music it switches to 2.1ch. If I go to change it to 7.2, 5.2, etc it says "not used" on the screen. I would like to get all the speakers working with my pc, if anyone could help me out it would be awesome.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. All the speakers work in multi-channlel mode (7.2) when using the radio.

Solution
You can get 7.1 over the optical connection but not lossless audio codecs like Dolby TrueHD.
Sounds like you went through the full receiver set up.
Does a video file with digital surround sound playback correctly? The receiver will indicate what audio signal it is getting.
If the receiver is set to "auto" surround mode and you play stereo music it will default to 2.1. Try a different mode such as Dolby which would default to Dolby Prologic2 for stereo. Each input of the receiver is set to remember the surround mode it was left at previously.

frostedtim

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
Specs for your PC would help.

Check your video settings as you may need to toggle an audio pass through setting. It depends on what you have though, so post specs for us if you can.

JordanMihailov

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
For example i connect my pc with my old receiver with optical cable and use realteck sound build in my mobo to get 5.1. it's dts neo decoding. You can check if your sound have some similar options ;)

You can get 7.1 over the optical connection but not lossless audio codecs like Dolby TrueHD.
Sounds like you went through the full receiver set up.
Does a video file with digital surround sound playback correctly? The receiver will indicate what audio signal it is getting.
If the receiver is set to "auto" surround mode and you play stereo music it will default to 2.1. Try a different mode such as Dolby which would default to Dolby Prologic2 for stereo. Each input of the receiver is set to remember the surround mode it was left at previously.

Solution

Lachiepower0402

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014

Didn't think of trying to play a surround sound video I'll have to try that when I get home tonight. When I tried to change the surround sound mode by pressing the a.f.s button the receiver said not used and would not allow me to get out of 2ch.

Another thing to note is that when I turn the receiver on it goes into surround mode and as soon as play any sound through it from my pc it says on the screen pcm 192khz and goes into stereo