How to get a Windows 8.1 64 Free Recovery Operating System Software for Toshiba Satellite s55b5289 serial number psprbu004001

Status
Not open for further replies.

reni7

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Toshiba stated to me that I must purchase my original recovery software for Satellite S55-B5289-S/N PSPRBU-004001, and pay $39.95 plus shipping and tax • SW Media - USB-Satellite S55-B-Windows 8 64bit Std-SP . Why can't I download FREE from Toshiba Support website, I asked and Toshiba Tech said no, is that true? Also, MICROSOFT TECH SUPPORT , twice had done a downgrade from an upgrade of WINDOWS 10, and now my 2013 version has a product key identification number that is not correct, so the Toshiba tech stated if Microsoft did it correctly in the first place, they should have accessed the recovery software from the partition drive . PLEASE ADVISE AS TO WHAT I SHOULD DO, BECAUSE I EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS WITH UPGRADING TO WINDOWS 10,WHICH CAUSED WINDOWS UPATES NOT TO FUNCTION PROPERLY, SO AT LEAST WINDOWS 8.1, IS WORKING, YET SOME UPDATES FAIL TO INSTALL ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Solution

They did provide it for free...it existed on...

USAFRet

Illustrious
When the laptop was new, it had a Factory Recovery partition on the drive.
This enabled you to create your own DVD or USB for this recovery, for free.

It probably prompted you to make one.
Sadly, no one ever does.

Does this partition still exist on the drive?
Look in the user manual for how to invoke this function.

reni7

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

reni7

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks USAFRet , You are correct we as users at least some of us either need assistance or don't create our own copy of operating system from accessing the Factory Recovery Partition on the drive. Yet, a Microsoft Answer Tech did not know that? So what copy did he access, what maybe I think from Windows Download catalog, but the product key number of course would not be OEM. So should I buy • SW Media - USB-Satellite S55-B-Windows 8 64bit Std-SP for $39.95+shipping and tax , or not, it's the principle of the matter all these computer manufacturers should at least provide this free with purchase, afterall it's not their own operating system software, yet now I should pay???

USAFRet

Illustrious

They did provide it for free...it existed on the drive in the Factory Reset partition.
The functionality was there to create your own USB or DVD. This is required by MS licensing.
In the interest shaving a dollar or two, they do not include the physical DVD. It has been this way for 15+ years.

That Factory Reset will bring it back to out of the box condition.

If all you need is the actual Win 8.1 install media, try here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8
(I think this still works)

You will have to go find all of the drivers for your hardware yourself.
The Windows install will install basic drivers, enough to get the system running.

or
Does that partition still exist on the drive and can you access it?
If it does, you can create that $40 thing yourself, for free (cost of a USB stick).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.