How to get digital channels without dta converter comcast

twinkies712

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
Hello,

This sounds strange, but I have Comcast cable in my apartment and don't know where it comes from - maybe split by a previous tenant or simply not disconnected through some fluke?
Anyways, the digital switch happened and I lost some channels and I'm wondering if there's a way to get them back without getting Comcast in my apartment. Is it possible to get a converter from my parents with Comcast and somehow activate it?

Thanks!

mgoblue3296

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
As far as I understand, you are just using a coaxial cable plugged straight into the back of your TV. I have the same setup in my basement, and Comcast pulled some channels off of their digital in the last week or so and lost the channels.

Sadly, a standard digital converted will not work, as they are meant to work with an antennae-based over the air connection. Comcast offers converter boxes (not set-top DVRs/cable boxes as they are called) that they can give you, but since you don't want to do that, it seems you're out of luck.

You could always buy an antennae with a converter box and get channels that way, and get decent HD picture with an HD antennae, if you want to bypass a cable company.

G

I'm in the same boat as the original poster...i moved into my apartment a few months back, plugged the cables that were already here into my TV and managed to have free cable. I recently lost most of my channels and was told that i have to get a converter box from Comcast. If I do that, Comcast will realize that I've been getting free cable and they'll start charging me a ton of money. When i last spoke to Comcast, I found out that they were under the impression that the cable to my apartment was cancelled in 2008...I didn't correct cuz I dont want to have to start paying

If I buy a converter box on ebay, can I just plug the cable into it and expect to have my channels back? If so, what kind of box do i need to get?

Alternatively, could I ask my neighbor (who has an account with Comcast) to tell Comcast that he bought an additional TV for his room and needs a converter box, then use that converter box in my apartment?

And does Comcast sell cable boxes to non-subscribers?? Would that even make sense/work?? I;m not good with this kinda stuff, but I was thinking I could call Comcast, claim that I get my cable from another company, and see if they would sell me a converter box.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I'm in the same boat as the original poster...i moved into my apartment a few months back, plugged the cables that were already here into my TV and managed to have free cable. I recently lost most of my channels and was told that i have to get a converter box from Comcast. If I do that, Comcast will realize that I've been getting free cable and they'll start charging me a ton of money. When i last spoke to Comcast, I found out that they were under the impression that the cable to my apartment was cancelled in 2008...I didn't correct cuz I dont want to have to start paying

If I buy a converter box on ebay, can I just plug the cable into it and expect to have my channels back? If so, what kind of box do i need to get?

Alternatively, could I ask my neighbor (who has an account with Comcast) to tell Comcast that he bought an additional TV for his room and needs a converter box, then use that converter box in my apartment?

And does Comcast sell cable boxes to non-subscribers?? Would that even make sense/work?? I;m not good with this kinda stuff, but I was thinking I could call Comcast, claim that I get my cable from another company, and see if they would sell me a converter box.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You are really trying to get sued or have some nasty visits by Comcast. Deal with what you have or order their service. I'm hoping your neighbor is not stupid enough to get a converted and give it to you.

dylansdad15

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

It almost makes me wonder way I bought a digital TV, because Comcast is always pulling channels off and saying it's the stations fault for encryting the signal. A lie but they continue to tell it. I have one of their converter boxes and it never worked. Comcast told me to "come on down and pick one up it's free, and never stated there would be no monthly charge." Another lie. I refuse to bring it back and whenever they want it it's here, but I not going out of my way and they no longer charge me for something that does not work. Comcast is full of it!!!!

menustation

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

I wouldnt jump the gun too quick, Comcast is required by State laws to provide free channels incase you did not know.

No channels that need a digital converter box would be free (those that are encrypted before getting to the house). And where is this info located at? Never heard of something like this, if you don't pay for cable service, don't see how you can ask for them to activate anything for you.

I'm thinking that this "free" thing would apply only if you can't get the basic few channels over the air.

I think what menustation meant to say was that cable companies are required by law to also provide the free local channels as part of their subscriptions. This way subscribers can still receive the local broadcasts without having to run a second line for the OTA Antenna.

-Wolf sends

Yes that I know, the satellite companies actually had a big mess about that a while back where they did not include the local channels in the packages. Bit different than what this post is about though. Those channels would not be encrypted, and would work as long as you have a live signal to your coax cable in the house. But that would not stop the cable company from encrypting a non-basic channel if they wanted.

gatortales

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

Ya right free.? Except for the cost of your monthly service...
Thats the kind of logic that got obama elected..

magnet51

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

No. That's the kind of logic that Romney used, that's why he got crushed in the elections. And that's why we ought to be happy he didn't get elected!

gatortales

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

mmm...Free health care..record food stamp recipients .. housing suppliments.... free cell phones.. welfare at an all time high..?
lets get the country back to work... why go to work ? everythings free right.
The truth is nothing is free. It gets paid for by you and me and everyone else that works.
You and anyone who voted for this charlatan has been on the wash cycle for the last 4 years.

Go buy some twinkies