How to get PC to output more than stereo to 3.1 soundbar (samsung HW-K650)

monk1979

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Hi

I've just invested in a soundbar for the family living room, to get rid of old cheap logitech 5.1s (were never used as a 5.1, due to leads).

I purchased a samsung HW-K650, which is 3.1.

I have tried checking what the output is in the Playback Devices section.

Outputing via the following:

1. Optical via mobo Asus P5Q using VIA drivers
2. Optical via Xonar DX
3. Hdmi from 970gtx
4. Dvi from 970gtx

Everything when testing suggests the soundbar is stereo only:

1. Nvidia control software only detects stereo at the soundbar
2. Playback Devices, also only detects stereo, and when testing, (obviously) only outputs to the left and right speakers of the soundbar, and not the center.

Does anyone know how I should fix this, to get 3.1 output?

Or should it auto output 3.1 when it detects a Dolby etc source to play? Any way to test that?

All drivers up to date, as is the soundbar firmware.

(I was intending to expand the soundbar to 5.1 with a swa-8000s, but if its not registering 3.1 now, I'm uncertain whether it'll change anything.)

Thanks

Chris

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
to use my soundbar and my 2 speakers + sub woofer

only way i can get it to work is to plug the 2 speakers and subwoofer to the rear of motherboard

and plug the sound bar to the front headphone jack and tell it not to auto detect something is plugged into the front jack

monk1979

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Any idea if adding the surround speakers will change how a PC recognises the soundbar?

I assume it must, otherwise what is the point in adding them. Then I assume my "stereo" system will get recognised as 5.1...

Why do I get the feeling I may be about to throw money away...

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
i would assume adding the surround speakers would get you either quadrophonic or 5.1

my 2 x speakers and sub woofer only get seen as stereo because the sub is wired to the speakers

so adding 2 speakers to yours may only get recognised as quadrophonic