How to have re-downloaded app on new phone recognize and access saved app data on sd card from old phone?

arghyaraihan

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
My Samsung Note 2 seems to have finally bit the dust. I saved a number of apps on a micro SD card (Transcend 16 GB) and am now looking to transfer the apps and data saved there to a new phone.

I installed the app on the new phone and then inserted the SD card, but the app is still acting like this is the first time I've used it. Is there any way I can get the app to recognize the saved data on the SD card and restore it?

Solution
You can't get a new phone to recognize the apps from an SD card from the old device. It would only be readable by the old device, especially if the card was encoded to work as "Internal" storage. Now if it was not, and was just apps that could be moved, without any changes needed, over to the card you may be able to locate files related to those apps on the card. That is, of course, if the app saved the files to the card and not to the old device. The only way to know would be to either use your file manager app to check out the files on the card, or connect the new phone to a computer, via USB cord, and view the files on the card from the computer. The whole app(s) won't be usable from the card, but you may get lucky and get some of...
You can't get a new phone to recognize the apps from an SD card from the old device. It would only be readable by the old device, especially if the card was encoded to work as "Internal" storage. Now if it was not, and was just apps that could be moved, without any changes needed, over to the card you may be able to locate files related to those apps on the card. That is, of course, if the app saved the files to the card and not to the old device. The only way to know would be to either use your file manager app to check out the files on the card, or connect the new phone to a computer, via USB cord, and view the files on the card from the computer. The whole app(s) won't be usable from the card, but you may get lucky and get some of the data. However, again, if the card was encoded to work as internal storage on the old phone, then the data on it is useless.

Solution