fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015
I am planning to buy LED bulbs for photography and video. but as I know LED can't produce good color unlike halogens. I'm not sure why since it produces brighter light

what if I reflect LED bulbs with an umbrella with grid cover?

Solution

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
The problem is mostly in led technology where it cannot produce certain wavelengths easily. They have come leaps and bounds on it though and you can find LED's with CRI of 97 or 98 (compared to maximum of 100)
Year or two ago most common ones were at maximum of 80 or so.
I doubt umbrella's or covers would really fix the CRI deficit so if it is really important, you have no choice but to use halogen or other equivalent.

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

what about fluorescent? I'm didn't use it before but I think it is prone to flicker right? I hate when my light's are exploding in the middle of my shoot so I'm finding a way to avoid hot lights :D

Fluorescent lamps also have issues similar to white LED, since they also convert UV (from mercury plasma rather than diode junction) to visible light using the same types of phosphors as a CRT TV set. If you get a proper fluorescent with power frequency higher than 2000Hz you'll usually be fine, but make sure to stay away from low frequency consumer fixtures that operate in the 60Hz range (you WILL see discoloration, a green to purple tinge across the image and backgrounds). If you buy from dedicated photography shops, the lamps are usually higher end and won't show too much error, though colors will still be a bit off compared to halogen and other black-body lamps

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

I'm actually planning to use this:

http://www.lazada.com.ph/83cm-33in-studio-photo-strobe-flash-light-reflector-black-silver-umbrella-1607427.html

since it was cheap I can buy 10 pcs so I will be able to light a bigplace

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
Just pointing out, as far as I can see, said umbrella doesn't include light source, only the umbrella.

Also as pointed out by basroil, fluorescent lamps tend to have not so good color reproducibility (or CRI, best ones cap out around 80)

Solution

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

thanks dude. I'll just buy another redhead.