How to install windows 8 on ubuntu Linux 12.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhijitpyn

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hi Friends,
I have purchased a dell labtop Dell Inspiron 15 3542 Laptop with Ubuntu Linux 12.04 installed in it.I want to install Win 8 on Ubuntu and have dual booting. I don't want to uninstall Ubuntu.How to do , pls guide me.

frostedtim

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
Not sure what you need Windows for, but if you are not looking to run 3D intensive apps, then I would say install Windows in a virtual machine.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

This isnt hard to install. And you dont have to worry about the headache of the dual boot. But again, it depends on why you need Windows and what apps you are intending to run.

mrsweet1991

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
You may find it difficult because installing windows after ubuntu means you'll have the windows boot loader which is not capable of booting ubuntu. Usually people do Windows and then install ubuntu as the GRUB boot loader (i think that's what its called) which is installed with the ubuntu install allows you to boot ubuntu and windows.

I think what you'll have to do it create a partition and install windows, when you have windows running you'll need to install the linux boot loader over your windows boot loader.

frostedtim

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
Not sure what you need Windows for, but if you are not looking to run 3D intensive apps, then I would say install Windows in a virtual machine.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

This isnt hard to install. And you dont have to worry about the headache of the dual boot. But again, it depends on why you need Windows and what apps you are intending to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laptop Tech Support 1
F Laptop Tech Support 4
S Laptop Tech Support 1
dinso Laptop Tech Support 1
juliver Laptop Tech Support 3
B Laptop Tech Support 0
O Laptop Tech Support 1
3 Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 4