How to make my PC a media server and stream movies to a TV?

Jeppe_K

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Hey there,

I've recently moved a bigger apartment and need a new solution for my home theatre. I used to have both PC and TV in the same room and just connect them with a HDMI. (PC -> HDMI -> Surround receiver -> HDMI -> TV)

But they are now located in two different rooms with too much distance between them to run a HDMI cable (~10-15m).

I'd like to maybe try out making my PC a media server and stream the content on the PC (Files on the harddrive). How would I set out to do this the best way?

I have a network outlet at both locations, if that helps.

--

Another question, do I lose some quality in picture and sound when streaming wirelessly?

Thanks! :bounce:

Solution
Assuming by network outlet - is that you have a RJ-45 network plug in the wall in both rooms. You may want to ensure that they are actually connected somehow - or some where - to that end you may want to get a cheap cable tester unless you can verify some other way.

I believe that the new windows 10 allows for media sharing and has media center installed.

Otherwise, I used a program called 'Tversity' on a windows 7 PC which served up media to my xbox 360 rather nicely. Essentially you will still need a client to go with the media server.

Give this a quick review - just a simple google search brought up the wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers_and_clients

good luck.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Assuming by network outlet - is that you have a RJ-45 network plug in the wall in both rooms. You may want to ensure that they are actually connected somehow - or some where - to that end you may want to get a cheap cable tester unless you can verify some other way.

I believe that the new windows 10 allows for media sharing and has media center installed.

Otherwise, I used a program called 'Tversity' on a windows 7 PC which served up media to my xbox 360 rather nicely. Essentially you will still need a client to go with the media server.

Give this a quick review - just a simple google search brought up the wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers_and_clients

good luck.

Solution