How to remove a hacker from my system

Status
Not open for further replies.

gidgannemc

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
How do I remove a hacker from my system that I allowed remote access thinking he was Microsoft partner and now money is missing from my bank account and Loans have been attempted to be applied for an hour name in a place that we do not live and they have been denied so far but money has disappeared from our accounts and we don't know how to get ahold of them they are ghosts

Solution
1. Change any and all online passwords IMMEDIATELY! And, where possible, enable 2 factor authentication.
2. Contact your credit card issuers and have them issue new cards.
3. Format & reinstall. That's the ONLY way to ensure that no backdoors still exist.

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished
1. Change any and all online passwords IMMEDIATELY! And, where possible, enable 2 factor authentication.
2. Contact your credit card issuers and have them issue new cards.
3. Format & reinstall. That's the ONLY way to ensure that no backdoors still exist.

Solution

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014
I agree with steps 1 and 2 above, and step 3 will certainly work, but it may be too much for many people to handle.

So let's narrow it down a bit: Who exactly did you give remote access, how did this person contact you and why did they say they needed access to your machine? I'm guessing it was a fake tech-support caller, but I need to know a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.