How to remove xp antivirus 2008 spyware

emmaelle

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
This post help to remove spyware from the computer. Antivirus 2008 is counterfeit anti-virus software. Antivirus 2008 usually installed itself onto your PC without your permission, through Trojan and virus. Antivirus 2008 will display fake system alerts or fake security alerts to trick user to buy the Paid Version of Antivirus 2008 (You could get Antivirus 2008 by opening an infected message in myspace or installing infected or fake video codec from video sharing websites.)

Press “Alt+Ctrl+Delete“, then click on “Task Manager“.
You can also launch the Task Manager instantly if you press Ctrl + Shift + ESC simultaneously.
Right click on AV2008.exe and AntiVirus2008.exe and click End Task.
Create a registry backup
Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AntiVirus2008
Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows \CurrentVersion \Uninstall\AntiVirus2008
Click Start –> Search, then click on 'For Files and Folders…'
Search for File name AV2008.exe , AntiVirus2008.exe , AntiVirus2008.lnk , Uninstall AntiVirus2008.lnk
Type the filenames on the search box, and choose the “Local Hard Drives” (normally, it’s C: drive)
Click on 'Search' and delete these files

source: http://anti-virus-support.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-remove-xp-antivirus-2008-spyware.html

masterfrm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
It looks like your computer has been infected by virus. Its critical situation that your computer is continuously slowing down.

Try to check advanced security software like VIPRE Antivirus + Antispyware which is best one to go for.

Follow some steps before continuing with an antivirus software ----->
1) First go into safe mode.
2) Then Install new antivirus software on system.
3) Run Thorough Scan to remove all infections in the PC.

:p Hope this helps

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Good luck with that one man. I'm a certified tech and dealt with that virus, that virus you have seems to be real nasty. When I dealt with that, the only way to get final resolution was to reformat.

mpd2142005

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Reformatting is such a pain! I agree that this virus is such a hassle but if you're sharp enough, you can manually get rid of it with quick reactions and the help of a couple anti-virus programs. As a college student, I have a laptop and my customized desktop. On my laptop, I bought it through the school (it's a Dell...go figure), really don't give a crap about it, and I don't hesitate to go onto shady websites or download shady torrents if I really need to obtain something....it actually helps me out in the long run as I learn plenty about viruses (both obtaining and deleting :p).

Usually, the second I notice that I have a virus, I make note of the time and shut down the computer immediately via the power button. I might lose information, but it will prevent any further infiltration of my computer by the virus. I then boot into safe mode sans networking and use the search function to find any files created or modified within a couple minutes of the time I noticed the virus. Any files I don't recognize (outside of the system32 folder), I delete. I also run HijackThis and do the same. I'm sure you have another computer around you handy, so it's pretty easy to use another computer to Google any of the file names that you aren't familiar with, indeed verify that they are related to your virus, and delete them. If you hadn't noticed by now, I really do have a primitive method of deleting viruses, but it works every single time and the worst I would have to do is to reinstall my current service pack of Windows which takes 30 minutes tops and doesn't jeopardize any of my important files. Anyway, I add stupid file extensions to any of the sketchy files that I can't delete (if they are in use, write protected, etc.) in the blind hope that the virus won't be able to utilize them. After that, it's a few virus scans to get rid of the residuals (make sure it checks the registry!) and to re-enable anything that was disabled (Task Manager, Folder Options, etc.), and you should be in an adequate position to repair your system.

Just a word to the wise...I made an attempt at torrenting a 145mb Dreamweaver file last night (no install file, just one large icon taking up over 140 megs of space), neglected to look at the user comments on the torrent site, and tried clicking on it. BIG MISTAKE. Among other things, it infected my c:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe file, which as I soon discovered, is required to log onto Windows (it will throw you into a loop if you don't, logging you off as soon as you log on). Once I ran my first virus scan, it re-enabled my Task Manager which allowed me to end the userinit.exe process that the virus produced. I could finally delete it from the system...hooray!...or so I thought. I unknowingly deleted it and it took me almost an hour to figure our a solution. Luckily, I just hopped onto my brother's XP laptop, grabbed his userinit.exe file, used ERD Commander to put it back into my system32 folder, and made sure my registry values would allow it to be loaded when Windows started.

I know this turned into a ramble, but I'm trying to tell you that it is definitely possible to get rid of this virus without re-imaging the system. I have encountered it before and although it took a couple hours, it is definitely conquerable. It's probably best to start the journey in safe mode!

Mike

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Oh it's fun to say the least. The system I got hold of, it actually had gotten to the point you would boot the computer and pop up a blue screen saying you had viruses or something like that. So you couldn't even get the desktop. The bad thing is though, these programs get on your machine, then they might want you to buy something to get rid of it. Another wise solution, get a copy of norton ghost, make an image of your machine after it's all set up. If you get a hard virus like that, nuke the thing and put the image back on it, up and running in 30 minutes. Just another option.

POOCHE001

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
LMAO YOU GUYS SPEND WAY TO MUCH MONEY ON ANTI VIRUS PROGRAMS AND TIME WASTED WORRYING
NOTRON THIS AND VIPRE THAT
HASNT ANYONE EVER HEARD OF THE TERM FREE
YES I SAID FREE AS IN FREE ANTI-VIRUS
YOU COULDNT PAY ME TO USE NORTON VIPRE OR EVEN MCFEE
THOSE ARE ALL SYSTEM HOGS NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOUR PC IS

HERES WHAT YOU DO GO HERE
WWW.DOWNLOADS.COM
GET
AVG FREE
AND THEN IF YOU HAVE A TOOL BAR OTHER THAN BESIDES WINDOW THEN IF ITS A GOOD TOOL BAR THEN IT WILL ALSO HAVE AN ANTI VIRUS PROGRAM BUILT INTO IT
THEN IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING YOU CAN GO TO MICROSOFT AND GET THE MALICIOUS SOFTWARE REMOVAL AS WELL

AVG WILL COVER YOUR COMPUTER FROM THE INSIDE
I HAVE YAHOO ANTI SPY TOOL BAR IT COVERS ME FROM THE NET SIDE
AND THE MALICIOUS REMOVAL TOOL WILL GET RID OF THINGS THAT "NO" ANTI VIRUS PROGRAM WILL GET RID OF

AVG RUNS AND SCANS EVERYTHING COMING AND GOING EVERYDAY ALL DAY I DONT WORRY
AND I DONT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING BUT LET IT RUN

I RUN THE YAHOO ANTI SPY EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS (THIS HAS GOTTEN RID OF TROJANS, ADWARE, MALWARE AND THE OCCASIONAL BORING COOKIES)
THIS TAKES LESS THAN 5 MINUTES TO DO

I RUN THE MALICIOUS TOOL ONCE A WEEK WHILE IM SLEEPING
THIS TAKES QUITE A WHILE THATS WHY I START IT RUNNING BEFORE GOING TO BED

EVERY 2 WEEKS I MANUALLY CUSTOM CHECK FOR UPDATES FOR MY COMPUTER

AUTOMATIC UPDATES DONT DOWNLOAD EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR SECURITY JUST THE QUICK FIXES
AND WHEN YOU DO CUSTOM INSTALL YOU GET UPDATED DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE APPS
THIS CAN TAKE AT THE MOST A HALF HOUR BUT IT DEPENDS ON YOUR RIG AND NET SPEED CONNECTION
SO WHILE EVERYONE ELSE IS WORRING ABOUT HAVING AND GETTING RID OF YOUR VIRUS AND WATCHING YOUR SYSTEM BE HOGGED AND BOGGED DOWN

ILL BE OVER HEAR ENJOYING MY FREE TIME WITH MY FREE ANTI VIRUS