How to reset my toshiba laptop when my zero button does not work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arik77

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Hi,
i have a Toshiba Satellite® A105-S4084 Notebook PC, since 2006 ...
i didn't get any restore disc.
when i try to restore to the factory settings by holding down 0, there is only beeps, and nothing prompt it to have the system reset.
is it possible that it doesn't had a recovery folder on his HDD ?
Any help will be graciously appreciated.!!!

G

To restore factory settings on your Toshiba Laptop; hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine, press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook, release the 0 key and select recovery of factory default software and click next to start recovery.

Did you follow all of these steps?

G

If that's not working, you could try loading from an earlier restore point. Can I ask why you need to restore to factory defaults? There may be another way to solve what you're trying to accomplish.

arik77

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
As I said before the laptop is working fine.
MY windows xp load with out any problem.
The reason that I want to restore it, because after almost 8 years of working, it's working very slow and has a lot of data, that's why I want to start again with fresh start ....

G

I didn't know it was working fine. I understand that you don't have a disk. There are some ways to do this without a disk. You said that you don't have a recovery disk. Are you referring to the a driver disk, the windows disk, or both. I still think you can make your laptop faster without restarting everything and losing some of your data. If you would like to start over and wipe your hard drive you will need a copy of windows xp. If you don't want to pay for a copy/upgrade, I can show you where to get it for free. I am currently running on a free copy of windows 7, because my pc didn't come with a disk. I didn't really feel like paying for something I previously bought either. You will need a 1gb usb drive or cd-r or a dvd-r. You will have to download the copy of windows you want, and download the driver for the ethernet controller in your laptop. You can download the rest of your drivers online from there. If this sounds like too much, we can try another way to speed up your Toshiba without a fresh restart. Please let me know if your missing both disks. I have a fairly old toshiba too.

arik77

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Indeed, I do not have the two disks ...
Despite his age, this computer works great, and now I want to give it to my youngest son.
I tried everything to speed it up, probably all the data and the downloads of nearly nine years doing the inevitable damage.
I'd love to know where to download WIN & DRIVERS FOR FREE.

thanks a lot !

arik77

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Hi,
thanks about the links ...
in Toshiba web site, how can i know which drivers should I download ?
is there a full package of relevant drivers or I need to download one by one individually?

about the xp 32bit file that I already download, do I need to extract it first and then burn it to disc?
Again thanks a lot !

G

The ones that say windows xp. The most important will be ethernet controller(could be listed as lan controller), bios, and video drivers/usbdrivers. You will be able to get the rest via ethernet connection with that ethernet port. If you want to be safe, jut get everything that says xp.

arik77

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
David Y - thank you !
all done - every thing good, expect this:
1. the function keys not working now.
2. some drivers aren't good:
- video controller
- video controller (vga compatible)
- mass storage controller
- sm bus controller
3. also i can't run hibernate or standby.

G

Use windows update.Also, go into your devices and update the drivers individually. Have windows search online for them. Could you select a best answer?

G

For function keys:

Try the following
Press the Fn key as well as the corresponding function key (e.g. F6)Check the Flash Card settings

On the Start Menu go to All Programs/Toshiba/Utilities/Click on “Restart Flash Cards” if it exists.Click on “Settings for Flash Cards” if it exists. Make sure the “Disable all function keys” option is unchecked and click OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.