How To Restore Your Beige Retro Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
A chemist working for a German museum found that dipping the faded plastic in a Hydrogen Peroxide solution actually undoes the yellowing process...

So if I dip an iMac in it does that meant that the monitor will display colours correctly?

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]So instead of having a brown, outdated piece of garbage, you'll have a gray, outdated piece of garbage.[/citation]

It's beige.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Oh great, I hope our CFO doesn't see this. I can hear him now, "We can go another 10 years without upgrading all your hardware because we can restore to just like new". My AS400 green screen will look so much better with a biege case than a yellow case.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]It's beige.[/citation]
I'm a guy, I want 32-bit color depth even though I can barely recognize 16 colors. What the hell is fuschia!?

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]So instead of having a brown, outdated piece of garbage, you'll have a gray, outdated piece of garbage.[/citation]

What solution can we dip you in to make you go away?

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I did this over the weekend with two pairs of Adidas shoes. Works but of course shoes are kind of a tricky item to work with. I'm going to do some other plastics next. All you need is over the counter 3% hydrogen peroxide and the sun. Some people use higher concentration mixed with oxyclean and a UV lamp but that starts costing more money to get all set up.

Oh and I cleaned up 2 Adidas plastic charms. Most of the yellow came out of those but they weren't real bad off when I started.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jsx82[/nom]can i unyellow my SNES?[/citation]

You probably can but I took one of those yellowed SNES apart and not only does it yellow but the plastic became brittle and it chipped extremely easily (I'm very careful when I take stuff apart, the case has a nice big chip in it now but it doesn't bother me, that is what ebay is for). I found there was a model of SNES that didn't yellow at all so I bought one of those. It is the one that has the sticker on top I think it was near the power button or reset I can't remember which. Set me back a cool $20 on ebay a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.