How to rig a PC & Projector to a home theatre system? This is a rather unique challenge

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
This is a rather unique challenge - my PC has a blu-ray player, and I wanted to run that via my Home theatre system (Philips HTS 3357 http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/HTS3357_05/-)

Unfortunately the PC only has 1 HDMI connection and I use this to connect to my projector and I believe the HDMI on the HTS is an output not an input.

All I really need from the HTS is the sound system, so I thought maybe I should get a new sound card for my PC, that can feed through to the HTS via digital coax or similar (currently just using onboard mobo sc, so only has 3.5mm headphone jack, which can't send 5.1)

That way I could use HDMI from PC/blu-ray to projector, and audio cable from PC to HTS....

Does anyone have prior experience with something similar? My projector is only 720p so blu-ray wont make too much difference in terms of visuals.

Alternatively, if someone is selling a cheap blu-ray HTS I'd consider it ;)

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

EDIT: If anyone knows of a sound card with digital coaxial output, please let me know, thanks!

Solution
That's similar to how I have my home theater set up. I use a DVI to HDMI cable from my HTPC's graphics card (Radeon HD4670) to my projector and digital audio out (coaxial) to my Onkyo HT-S3200 receiver. For me, it's just a matter of selecting the appropriate audio device when switching between watching on my HDTV and watching on my projector.

Note: the graphic card's HDMI output is going to my HDTV.

-Wolf sends
That's similar to how I have my home theater set up. I use a DVI to HDMI cable from my HTPC's graphics card (Radeon HD4670) to my projector and digital audio out (coaxial) to my Onkyo HT-S3200 receiver. For me, it's just a matter of selecting the appropriate audio device when switching between watching on my HDTV and watching on my projector.

Note: the graphic card's HDMI output is going to my HDTV.

-Wolf sends

Solution