How to run 144 hz on VMware(or any other vm)

msacco

Commendable
Sep 18, 2017
Hey, Im not sure if its the right forum to post it, so if not please let me know. So I've been searching for an answer for this for some time now, this question is sometimes asked, but I've neven seen an answer for that.

First of all, is that even possible? If it is possible, how do I achieve that?

Please spare me from typical "the human eye can only see 60 fps and * like that" comments, and thanks in advanced for the help :]

My specs if needed:

i5 3470 3.6 ghz(oc)

gtx 770 4 gb

12 gb ram

host - windows 7

guest - ubuntu 18.04

144 hz screen ofc.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I have no idea :) but my question would be WHY :) just wondering.. do you play games on a VM then? cause if you just want to see if you can use a 144Hz monitor with a VM that will work.. I have no idea cause of vm issues if you would ever reach (144fps) that if you gamed on the vm and the gtx 770 I would think would not get that many FPS unless you are on a small screen like 720 p or something like that being its not a superspeed GPU.

I am curious so I would like to know as well.

msacco

Commendable
Sep 18, 2017

Im planning on using my vm ubuntu for programming, some of my programming involves graphics, some are lighter, and some are heavier(3D etc), it is very important for me to see the results and work in the best way I can.
More than that, it really bothers me even with simple every day computer using, I assume you don't have 144 hz screen, so you probably don't really understand it, or maybe you do, but Im just a person who really feels the smallest changes and I really like my comfort. Eventually, I do it because I think it is very important for me to learn ubuntu(or linux in general), and you can't learn it you don't use it enough. Programming is what I do mostly, so that will be the best way to learn it. I'd switch over to linux if I wasn't gaming etc as well, plus I don't really like linux as for the moment. Anyway, Im kinda going off topic here, I like the 144 hz, it feels better, it doesn't hurt my eyes, it doesn't look as laggy as 60 hz, and thats it pretty much..I don't know if its possible, but if it is, it will be great for me. Btw, Im using 1440x900 screen resolution, not like it should matter much, but yeah..

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I have a 4K freesync 1 or 2 (sorry forget and I think its only 75 hz that i have) monitor so I do understand having a faster response time and such is nice and does matter in some things.

Driving graphics in a game at 60 vs 120 hz I know requires double the power..

with all that said..

I think you are SOL if it works like Hyper-V (sorry been 5+ years since I used VMware).. YOU could check in the guest system and see if you can set the refresh rate higher in the VM guest. but at least with the version of Hyper-V I use (one that is for Server 2016) the refresh rate is stuck at 64Hz (I checked 2 different VMs one running server 2016 and another with windows 10 to verify that the refresh rate is stuck at 64 with my system.

HOPE this helps though..

and with that said I had seen in the past at least with windows (I OCed a monitor in the past so instead of 60hz it ran at 75hz.. this was a few years ago) (and just because it could.. wouldn't do more then that and it did work). there was a program I just dont remember the name of it that I installed and setup the new info base off the current stuff so it like setup a new driver for the device to allow other resolutions and refresh rates. I would see if you could maybe try that if you need to have more then 64hz (unless that is just the resolution because it has an older video card then your one you have listed).

I would just check yours and see.. (I am just assuming that you have the VMs already setup. I also did a bit of checking around and yea not a lot of info but all I could find was that in every case I did find any info the VMs have a locked monitor refresh rate... so cant change from the norm that is setup on the computer. SORRY.. MAYBE someone else have more insite!

msacco

Commendable
Sep 18, 2017

Thanks for your answer, but I fear its not a solution I should look for. I already tried a few "forcing" hz softwares etc, but nothing worked so far, I assume its because of the virtual graphic drivers, which is maybe just bad or something and can't support 144 hz. Hopefully there's a solution maybe.

msacco

Commendable
Sep 18, 2017

And is there any solution for windows 7 host and ubuntu guest?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Not that I've seen.
And overall, your system is a bit short on specs for involved work in a VM. Particularly the 12GB RAM.

You need to leave 4GB for the host, giving you only 8GB for any potential guests.

I do a lot of work in VM's, often 2-3x at once. I have 32GB for this specific reason.
I can dedicate 4 or 8GB (or more) without breaking a sweat.

msacco

Commendable
Sep 18, 2017

I need only 1 vm running so thats not a problem..