How to save Windows license before installing Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2tarun

Estimable
May 1, 2014
Hi,

I purchased a new Lenovo Thinkpad L540 laptop. This laptop was supposed to be installed with Windows 8 pro but instead it came with Windows 7 Pro with an option to upgrade to windows 8 Pro. Now they provided me four discs with following titles:

1. Operating System Recovery Disc Windows 8 Pro Disc 1
2. Operating System Recovery Disc Windows 8 Pro Disc 2
3. Windows 8 Recovery Media for Windows 8 Products Disc 1
4. Windows 8 Recovery Media for Windows 8 Products Disc 2

Now I want to install Ubuntu 14.04 on this laptop. Also I want to backup my license of Windows 7 so in case if in future if I need I'll install Windows 7 and not Win 8. I don't like Windows 8, I don't like Win 7 either but if I have to choose between them I'll choose 7.

Another problem I am facing is when I tried to shrink my 500GB windows partition I am not able to shrink it below 228 GB. I want to shrink it to 100GB so that I can use remaining 128 GB as my home partition. I followed [this][1] tutorial to shrink partition, but no luck. So I think I may have to remove Windows 7 and reinstall it using the backup I am creating above.

So can anyone please help me in telling me how can I create backup of Windows 7 before I start messing up by installing Ubuntu. I am in no rush, I want to know exactly what I am getting into, so I'll do as much reading as required. So pointing me in right direction will also help.

Thanks.

Solution
If Windows doesn't let you shrink beyond a certain size limit, then it's the way how that utility was designed. If you want to shrink beyond that limit, then you might have to get a 3rd party software to do it for you. Best is to create a image of your Win7 and then repartition your drive.
Windows 7 should have its own backup image utility located inside control panel.

c2tarun

Estimable
May 1, 2014

Okay, I have a 5TB externa HDD. Mirroring whole disk will save the license?

The license key for Windows 7 should be on a sticker somewhere on the laptop - either on the bottom cover, or under the battery. As a final resort, you can try some key finder to reveal the activation key.

As for shrinking: Defragment your system drive first, then try again with shrinking. And as a side note, your link for the tutorial somwhoe dissapeared.

c2tarun

Estimable
May 1, 2014

Oops sorry for disappeared link. Here is the link: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

I degragmented. Still no luck.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

if you MIRROR the drive and not use windows backup? yes it will save your licence.

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
If Windows doesn't let you shrink beyond a certain size limit, then it's the way how that utility was designed. If you want to shrink beyond that limit, then you might have to get a 3rd party software to do it for you. Best is to create a image of your Win7 and then repartition your drive.
Windows 7 should have its own backup image utility located inside control panel.

Solution

c2tarun

Estimable
May 1, 2014

Thanks for your awesome suggestions guys, I'll try above options. I'll create mirror image. Also I'll create backup on DVD's using Lenovo's recovery options. Then I'll use Gparted to resize the partition and will install Ubuntu on a new partition. If all goes well :) I might never use my backups and recovery disks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.