How to Set Up Older Yamaha Receiver to New TV & Systems?

FreshFactor

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
So, I have a Samsung 55" LED Smart TV. The model is the UN55F6300, which I got last year.
My father in law gave me his speakers and receiver as he doesn't use them any more, it's an older setn from the 90's, so no HDMI or Optical out puts of any kind. The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V870.

I have my TV and cable box, as well as a PS3 and Wii U I would like to hook up to the TV and receiver. The only problem is none of the game systems use anything other than HDMI and Optical. I want to be able to hook everything up to have sound through the AV cables and video through HDMI.

I tried to connect two AV cables between the receiver and the TV, then HDMI cables to the systems, but that didn't work. The TV doesn't seem to recognize that there the receiver is connected when I'm in the TV menu.

I did test the receiver and speakers by listening to the radio and that worked just fine.

Do I have any options to get this set up working? Including picture of input/outputs on reciever and TV. Thanks for any input.

Samsung_UN55F6300_35647894_35647675_35650428_35650429_35650468_35650469_15.jpg

17326755.jpg

Solution
Your TV has analog audio outputs via a mini jack so all you need to do is connect all your sources to the TV (with HDMI etc) and connect the TV audio out to any input on the receiver (except phono). You will need an audio cable with a stereo mini plug on one end and a pair of RCA connectors at the other. There is no "detection" of this connection. Check the TV audio menu in case you have to turn the output on. On some TVs it will only come on when you turn the TV internal speakers off.
Your TV has analog audio outputs via a mini jack so all you need to do is connect all your sources to the TV (with HDMI etc) and connect the TV audio out to any input on the receiver (except phono). You will need an audio cable with a stereo mini plug on one end and a pair of RCA connectors at the other. There is no "detection" of this connection. Check the TV audio menu in case you have to turn the output on. On some TVs it will only come on when you turn the TV internal speakers off.

Solution