How to Setup Onkyo TX-NR646 w/ PC for HDR

EKuan

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Hello,

New to the forum, thank you for all the support found here. First the devices: Onkyo TX-NR646, Samsung UN55JS9000, and Windows 10 PC with GTX 980. My goal is to get the best picture on my Samsung 4k HDR enabled TV running it through the Onkyo AVR. I watch everything through my PC, so I am trying to run the PC into the Onkyo, then connecting to the TV through the HDMI 4 port which is 2.0a and ARC supported. I have HDR color turned on for the HDMI 4 port on the television. However, when I run a dxdiag on my PC, I am showing that my display is not supporting HDR. I'm wondering if this has to do with it seeing the Onkyo as my display, rather than my Samsung?

Also, if it is better to run a HDMI cable directly to the TV for video, and another to the Onkyo strictly for audio, how do you do this? If I attempt to run HDMI from the GPU to HDMI port 2 (HDR color enabled) on my TV and another from the GPU to my Onkyo, Windows see's 2 monitors. But, when I switch over to HDMI 2, I only see a black screen. If I duplicate the monitors, I still only get a black screen on HDMI 2.

So, my question is what is the best set-up for my needs? I also game on my PC so being sure I am getting the full HDR color is a must. I'm assuming running one cable to the TV for video and one to the Onkyo for audio would be best, but I'm not sure how to get past duplicating monitors or to even get a picture on the HDMI 2.

Thanks

Try connecting the PC directly to the TV. If you can get 4k HDR running this way then the receiver would be the problem.
I can't find mention of HDR in the specs of that receiver so it may not support it. It's not clear in the specs of the GTX980 if it has HDMI 2.0 and HDR either but I assume you know that it does.
There are BD players which have an HDMI output that can be configured for audio only, I don't know if you can do this with a PC even if it has two HDMI outputs.
You could try splitting one HDMI output of the PC but I suspect that it won't work,
It would be an audio compromise but you could use an HDMI audio extractor to provide an audio output from the direct PC to HDMI 4 connection.

EKuan

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Hello,

So, I have tried connecting my PC to my AVR and then running a dxdiag report because I continue to get the following readout:

HDR Support: Supported
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Supported (BT2020RGB BT2020YCC Eotf2084Supported )

Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
Advanced Color: AdvancedColorSupported

I then remove the AVR completely and plug directly into my TV, but I get the exact same readout, just the Monitor Model and and ID changes.

Everything shows HDR is enabled on the TV HDMI ports, I have the HDMI cord applied to a HDCP 2.2 compliant port on the AVR, but Windows 10 states I should be seeing the following if all is correct:

DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020, that indicates that this is for HDR10 and the connection is displaying advanced color.

Also, I should be seeing:

AdvancedColorEnabled. This indicates that advanced color is turned on for this display.

However, I only see that the AdvancedColorSupported; although, I have HDR enabled on my television assigned to the correct HDMI port.