How to speed up internet in VM

The Stealthinator

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I run Windows XP mode using Virtual PC and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS using VirtualBox.

I know that virtual machines are not as fast as the host machine, but i'd like to know, how do I speed up the internet connection within the virtual machine? Would I have the allow the VM program through windows firewall, or change some settings in the VM?

Thanks.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
How much disk space and how much ram do you have dedicated to the VM? Remember windows will still create a swap file within the VM. Perhaps you have too little ram dedicated to the VM so it's thrashing the VM's page file.

The Stealthinator

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

I will try changing that and see. But I'm not sure how that would affect the download or upload speed within the VM.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished

If you have other programs running in the VM that are using up ram and causing the pagefile to thrash, it will effect the speed that the download can get written to disk, thus slowing the download. It's proabably a long shot, but worth investigating... unless I misunderstood and you mean web pages are slow downloading. If this is the case, the amount of ram would probably be much less of an issue if any.